Monday, October 23, 2006

The streets of my city

This is my favorite building in my Quartier (neighborhood).



It sits on a busy corner where there is plenty of car and foot traffic and a bus line. The upper floors are residential, but the ground floor is occupied by two local businesses - a cafe/bar and an Italian grocery. On weekends there might be a flower stand in front of the grocery, or sometimes fresh fruits and vegetables.



I think that this building is aesthetically pleasing, lovely really; but I think the reason I am so attached to it is because it has become iconic to me. The architecture of this building, the columns, the statue tucked away in its roof alcove, the colors and especially the two small businesses on the ground floor are a perfect image of what I always imagined life in a European city to look like. I even like that when I look at the building from across the streets the cables for the bus line - so very European - slice across my field of vision. Once upon a time I would mutter at those tram and bus cables for "ruining" my pictures; but they are the essence of European city living and I am learning to incorporate them into my pictures. To use them. To appreciate them. Their presence makes my life on foot, my life lived in close contact with the street, possible.



Much of my neighborhood is mixed-use; businesses on the ground floor and apartments above. I'm a big proponent of mixed-use zoning. As Jane Jacobs illustrated long ago, mixed-use neighborhood are lively and interesting; they have varied foot traffic at most hours of the day and night (thus providing not only interest but safety); and they're convenient for the residents. I live within a ten minute walk of a bakery, a grocery store, an organic food store, a butcher, two wine shops, multiple restaurants and cafes, an ATM, a post office, a papeterie (stationary and card store), an art supply store, two bookstores, two florists, two apotheks (drug stores), a branch library, a park, and the bus stop. Small Boy and I live our lives on foot, out on the streets of our neighborhood, strolling here, popping into this store and that, recognizing faces on the streets, contributing to this lively neighborhood. Our neighborhood is designed to be lived in, not merely inhabited.

I love the buildings, the businesses, the streets of my city.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 19:19 , Blogger Choco Pie said...

That's one of the things I like about Korea, too. Everything essential is within walking distance, including the subway in case you need to go further afield. There are always people walking around, even very late at night.

 
At 11:21 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I love that 'Quatier' used to live there.....You are right, its made to be lived in. - sigh- Right now I miss it. I miss being in WALKING distance of all those shops. Even the town center is within walking distance... - sigh- again.
btw. Do you have any more pictures?

 
At 16:46 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I found your blog while searching for expats in Switzerland. I enjoy your blog,especially the side bar. I am trying to find an expat, or english speaking book club here. Do you know of one? I saw that you have a book club on your side bar. Thanks!

 
At 19:00 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Sandra - it does seem the US has taken single-used zoning to an extreme unlike other countries. Where my brother lives you have to drive everywhere for anything.

Lillian - oh funny that you used to live around here! I'm actually thinking of doing a weekly "the streets of my city" posting with pictures, to justify the new expensive digital camera we bought just before vacation. It is too expensive to only use at vacation time.

Hi Jessica welcome and glad you like my blog. I belong to the American Women's Club and we have a book group. I'll stop by your blog and leave a comment there so you don't miss this.

 
At 22:22 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has inspired me to explore my small village. I'll post something about it soon. thanks for the info on book clubs (especially since my USA friends shot me down b/c they work too much to read anymore). And, for what it's worth, bananas are number one in the Neuchatel groceries as well, at least at the Migro.

 
At 03:07 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh do that please please. Could u post some pictures of the 'Robinson Spielplatz'. Was telling my kids about it, but they were 4 and 2 years old and can't remember.... sniff sniff.

 
At 20:35 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Lillian, the only Robinson Spielplatz I know is in Thun. Is there one around here I've been missing for a year!?! Ack!

 
At 03:10 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, there USED to be one.. probably still is. I'm looking at the map and if I remember correctly its on the Allmendstrasse. We lived at Breitenrainplatz so it was quite close.... good luck finding it :-)

 
At 22:49 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Actually, we're not in Breitenrain, we're in the other really cool Quartier. But my pediatrician is in Breitenrain and I think I sort of know the playground. I'll have to seek it out more consciously next time I'm over there.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home