Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Magazines as objects of lust and windows to the soul

In some sort of perverse reverse synchronicity, my two favorite magazines arrived in my mailbox the week I was supposed to be abstaining from reading - an endevour which, by the way, did not go particularly well because, to be honest, I did not put a lot of energy into resisting my need to read. Since Small Boy was born, my reading has been pared down to the bones anyway: the newspaper and blogs in the morning and about half an hour in bed before falling asleep. During the long hours in between there simply isn't time. On weekends I indulge more. But when my magazines arrive, all I can think about all day is when I'm finallly going to be able to read them, like anxiously waiting to meet a secret lover.

I miss magazines. I miss the look of them, the way they line up like debutants competing to be chosen. I miss the way they feel, the color photography, the whispering voices between turned pages. I miss the continuity of flipping through a magazine the way a good layout editor intended it to be seen. First this, then that. I miss the variety of voices that change from page to page. Oh yes, of all the things that I miss living in Switzerland perhaps I miss magazines the most. Of course I miss the biggies, the grande dames, but what I really miss is going into Border's or Barnes and Noble and browsing through rack after rack of varied and obsure magazines. I miss picking up a random copy of this, an impulse copy of that. I miss stumbling across some little gem. I love being able to flip through a magazine and decide if I'll buy it. I never subscribed to it, but I picked up this once or twice a year, when the longing got too great, and this. Just looking at that cover breaks my heart with homesick desire. I miss this, and this, and this. I could break this family's budget in the magazine section of a big US chain book store.

I pay shocking surcharges for international delivery of two magazines I've decided I can't live without. The Sun, and The New York Review of Books. (And yes, yes I am an East Coast living, white wine swilling, latte drinking, sushi eating liberal elite, thanks for asking.) They are completely contradictory - the NYRB appeals to the over-educated ABD in me still trying to impress somebody with how erudite I am; the Sun appeals to the writer in me, the me that is trying to shed my grad-school skin and speak my own truth. One day, I imgaine, I will let one of these subscriptions lapse, and in that action I will know which side of me has won the war for my future.

Can I tell you a secret?

I'm rooting for The Sun.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 20:47 , Blogger Berlinbound said...

The Sun is huge! I mean huge!

 
At 01:55 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss bookshops. There are some great 2nd hand ones here in CM.. but nothing beats Borders! But hey.. I'd even be happy with Stauffacher after what we get here lol

 
At 14:02 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Richard - why does it not surprise me that you're a Sun reader?

Lillian - yes, I do miss Borders. I miss the price of books in the States - and newspapers and magazines. I miss quirky little independent bookstores, too.

 
At 09:53 , Blogger Betsy said...

What a treat! I've been lurking after discovering your blog last week. I really enjoy your writing style and outlook!

(and no, this is not just another shameless comment designed to promote traffic to my own blog! ;-) )

It is a relief to find that an international blogging community actually exists! Up until now I've had a hard time finding anyone who's writing about life with a multicultural, multilingual perspective.

You've really brightened my day-- I'll definitely be back.

 
At 10:20 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Besty welcome and I hope you'll be back. And I hope you check out all the expats in my links - and in their links. My link list is shamefully short, I think.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home