Tuesday, October 30, 2007

You knew it had to happen sooner or later

I've got a really good deal with the in-laws. Not only do they take Small Boy one day a week, but they seem to go out of their way to make it convenient for me. My mother-in-law takes the train into the city in the morning and Small Boy and I meet her on the platform where I hand over the boy, give him hugs and kisses, and wave bye-bye as they get on the train and go back out to The Farm. In the evening, my father-in-law drives Small Boy back home. I couldn't ask for an easier situation.

Today Small Boy and I were quite rushed for the drop-off at the train station. We usually walk to the station at a Small Boy pace and he can generally stop now and then to look at something exciting, shuffle through some leaves, and pick up sticks. Today it was all go! go! go! we're going to be late! So we were both a bit frazzeled when we arrived at the platform. I helped load him onto the train, gave him a hug and a kiss, and then went back onto the platform to wave good-bye. Through the window I could see his little face slowly crumpling, a little tear starting, and I could tell he was saying "A hug and a kiss! A hug and a kiss!" The goodbye had been rushed, and though I'd given him a hug and a kiss on the train, he wanted another. I popped back onto the train for another quick hug and kiss and....the train pulled out of the station.

Sigh.

Fortunatley I have a local public transport pass that meant as long as I got off the train at one of the next two stops my fare was covered. I sat with Small Boy in my lap and gave him hugs and kisses and explained I'd be getting off the train at the Z. stop. With plenty of advance warning he seemed okay with that, though of course he tried to talk me into going all the way to The Farm with him. But he seemed okay when I got off the train at Z. Then I had to wait for a train back into the city, which fortunately was only a ten minute wait because of course today was the one day in a hundred I left the house without a book in my purse.

Sigh.

But the next train came, I climbed on, and a few minutes later I was back in the city after a short detour. Not a big deal. It had to happen sooner or later and honestly, I'm surprised it took this long.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home