Sunday, August 07, 2005

Post-move chaos

We are officially city people. (Well, actually it's not official yet because we haven't registered. We have ten days to do that, but plan on making it Monday's chore.)

The move itself went well (because we hired movers, of course). The packing beforehand and all the upacking that faces us now, not so much. But we are here and we have carved out some livable space among the boxes. We've even found enough kitchen utensiles to make a go of basic meals. Small Boy's room is in perfect order (the only one), in the hopes that having his familiar things around him will help him deal with the unfamiliar place. The disruption of the packing and the move and the boxes and the unpacking and the stressed-out Mom and Dad (I personally think that's probably the biggest factor) have wreaked havoc with his sleep, and we're back to the old short naps and multiple night wakings, although last night he 1) put himself back to sleep once and 2) put in a five hour stretch, so I think he's on his way to getting back to where we were before the move (which still wasn't great, but was a massive improvement over the every two hours thing).

We love it here, in spite of the boxes everywhere. The apartment is so light compared to our old place. (The down side of that is I only just now noticed that we really need to get our dining room chairs cleaned!) There's a Sri Lankan curry place around the corner that has take-away, and the bakery a block away is open on Sunday. (If you're not from Switzerland or Germany - I don't know about the rest of Western Europe - you have no idea how huge this is.) This being August, several of the cafes in the neighborhood have limited opening hours at the moment, but start getting back to full swing in the next one to two weeks. But it's good here. Young, lively, and surprisingly quiet for the middle of the city. It'll take us awhile to get unpacked, what with Small Boy demanding much attention, but we'll get there. And then it'll be great here.

2 Comments:

At 16:41 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moving - or as J points out correctly - the packing for it - is really not easy - especially when moving to a smaller place. I mean - it is by no means small for a city apartment but compared to a full house where we have been before....

Anyway - it gave us a good reason and opportunity to purge things that should have been purged years ago (talking for myself). And me being the overly optimistic kept saying "we will be good...". Of course as the moving date came closer my "good" became "fine" and then "OK" and then "well manage". Next time I will just say "oh yeah" if J says that we are screwed.

But the move is over and now we need "only" to move everything from the boxes into the place where they belong. Everything will be good ;-)

 
At 23:31 , Blogger Choco Pie said...

Hi, I've been enjoying your blog. I'm an American living in Korea and I just added your blog to my links. You might like to see some of the other expat or cross-cultural blogs I have there, too.

Good luck getting settled in, and I hope you'll like your new city home. I just spent the summer in the U.S. and we're returning to Korea tomorrow. Hmmm, what am I doing on the computer when I should be packing??? Procrastinating, of course!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home