Saturday, July 09, 2005

Sleep

Posts like this one make me jealous.

Then again, at 10 weeks Small Boy too was sleeping through the night. He spent four wonderful weeks going from about 7:30 pm to 7:30 am with a single night feeding (typically around 3:30am). Then he changed patterns, as abruptly and mysteriously as the long night pattern had developed in the first place. He started waking up twice. I didn't think much of it, I figured it was a growth spurt or the weather or just, you know, he's a baby and these things happen. Then my husband went on a business trip and to make life easier I took Small Boy to bed with me all that week. He woke up a lot - or, he nursed a lot. I'm not convinced he ever fully woke up half the time because all he had to do was roll over and there I was, the kitchen that never closes. Husband came back, Small Boy went back to Small Boy bed but the stage was set. He was waking up two or sometimes three times now. Some more time passed and we decided it was time to take matters into our own hands and institute a sleeping plan, but then realized we couldn't really start something until we got back from the wedding, since we fully expected the travel to disrupt him anyway. So we got back from the wedding and started the sleep plan, but then came the milk supply incident. We aborted the sleep plan in favor of Small Boy sleeping with me again to encourage frequent night-time nursing - we were having quite a heat wave at the time so Small Boy was sleeping in just diapers and underpants and we could have plenty of skin-to-skin contact. The milk issue cleared itself up - if it was ever an issue at all and not just paranoia - but by now I was in a hell of my own making. Small Boy wakes up every two hours.

We started the sleep plan again last night, and we'll see how it goes. It can't get any worse.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home