Wednesday, September 07, 2005

At a loss

Like Sandra, I've had a hard time blogging since Katrina. Words of sympathy and solidarity seem hollow, especially coming from so far away, and words of anger...well, they're building up in my head, believe me, but I'll save them for another time. Others are on the case, and doing a better job of it than I would anyway. But the best thing I've heard was Harry Shearer's September 4th edition of LeShow - a tribute to New Orleans, to its music and food and culture and history and spirit. I think people are only beginning to realize what it means to lose New Orleans.

UPDATE: As long as you're giving your RealPlayer/Media/MP3/whatever it is you use a workout, listen to this, too - and it's just 3 and a half minutes, unlike the hour long Harry Shearer (which is worth it if you have the time). Link via my topography.

3 Comments:

At 12:44 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 04:07 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

just a question, how does the matte look now? are people back in their flats? does it sink? Is the marzilie open yet?

 
At 10:20 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Lillian, I haven't been down to the Matte but I passed over the Nydeggbrueke the other day and things looked fairly well cleaned up. The water level has been back to normal for some time and they had cleared the Schwemmholz out of the Schwellen after just a few days. I saw some people in the Matte, and trash bags set out for collection, so from above things seemed to be getting back to normal.

I was at the Marzili last week and the pools had been drained and still not refilled, and they had a gate across the path leading upstream so you couldn't walk along the river even though the level was down. But the grass area was all cleared up and there were some people out. So things seem to be getting back to normal.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home