Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Indiana, I hardly knew 'ya

I love Indiana. I went to college in Indiana, and in Indiana I gave birth to my best self. For that I will always love Indiana. I have cycled hundreds, nay, thousands of miles of rolling Indiana countryside, and it made my legs strong and my will stronger. I learned to win in Indiana, and there I learned to deal with losing. I learned to accept coaching, to let my coach pinpoint my weaknesses, and in doing so he made me a better cyclist than I ever would have been otherwise. (For that I'll always love you, too, Andy.) I have sprinted up Firehouse Hill. I have spent oh! too many miles doing spinning drills on Flat Bottom Road. I have circled Lake Monroe, crossed the Causeway, time trialed in Morgan-Monroe State Park. I have bruised ribs, shattered helmets, and perfected the rotating paceline in Indiana. I became, in many ways, the woman I am today in Indiana.

Which is why it pains me beyond measure to see this (pdf of actual bill here).

(Via Julie, Akeeyu, and Susan, who serve up the outrage.)

UPDATE (6 Oct 09:40 CET): Wow that was fast. Apparantly the bill has been withdrawn. I'm sure the Organized Outrage of the Infertiles had something to do with it. I love the internets. (Update via Susan/In a Holding Pattern)

3 Comments:

At 22:19 , Blogger J said...

Oh my, how disgusting is that?

On a more upbeat note, nice to see another cycling enthusiast around. You, stringbean and me make three.

 
At 01:05 , Blogger Choco Pie said...

I just read about that the other day. Things are really getting crazy back home. What kind of sick mind comes up with something like this? They won't be happy till the government owns every uterus in the country.

 
At 09:29 , Blogger swissmiss said...

J - Sadly, I have been an armchair cyclist since my pregnancy, which makes about 17 months of total muscle atrophy. Next summer I hope it will be easier to leave the Small Boy with some form of child minder now and then and try to get back on the bike.

Sandra - Yeah, Kentucky recently tried (is still trying? I lose track) to reallly tighten up their IVF regulations too. On the other hand, ART regulations in Switzerland are narrower than I would like to see, too (only married couples, surrogacy not allowed, no egg donation allowed). So I guess I'm throwing stones from the safety of my glass house!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home