Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Duck! And cover!

These days the most dangerous place to be in our apartment is behind Small Boy. He's developed quite the little King Henry "away with you" over the shoulder toss. Blocks, sippy cups, stuffed toys, hard toys (not to mention carrots, cheese chunks, green beans, peas and pasta curls) go flying indescriminately backwards. It's an exuberant gesture, big and bold; not a tantrum or done in anger. Just a boy wildly tossing his blocks over his shoulder because he has learned that he can. He's taking up his space in the world. I want him to be bigger than I am in the world. Bold. The kind of man who people always think is 5 cm taller than he really is. I want him to make more noise than I did in my childhood, throw more toys, scuff more knees, rip more pants. Take chances. Throw blocks. See what happens.

I'm just going to stay out of range as he does it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 21:32 , Blogger Berlinbound said...

You are a brave woman ... I have resorted to "time-out" for all toy tossings ... Things can get way out of hand - pardon the pun ...

Peace your way ...

 
At 09:37 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Well, he's only turning 1 year old on Monday, so I don't think it would even be possible to discipline him on this. I'm thinking of it more as a skill developmental thing and hopefully we'll be able to channel it as he gets older. Either that or I'm creating a monster. He does respond to NO, and knows not to touch the cables, outlets, stove buttons, etc., but he's just learned this tossing and I think it would be too early to curb his new found skill, so I'm letting it slide for now.

I may regret it later.

 
At 19:52 , Blogger Berlinbound said...

Thanks for the Onion link - hilarious!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home