Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I'm back

I've had friends in from DC - two friends I've known for 15 years, almost, and who, until this past week, had never met my son. A wrongness that has finally been remedied, but it will still never feel right that these friends, to whom I was once attached at the hip*, will see my son, their "nephew," only sporadically. The greatest downside to expat life is how hard it is to keep the silken threads of relationship growing across distance and time. I haven't always managed it well...I have seen friendships wither these past five years. But these two - it's still good, still real. But it is different. We miss entire episodes in each other's lives. Things I used to live through with them - relationships beginning and ending, apartments found and lost, the first grey hair, the worst movie we ever wasted eight dollars on - are now stories told across space. It's different. It's not less real, but it is less immediate, less tangible. Less intense. We feel the distance, and we feel the years between visits. The last time I saw RandB was December 2003 - right after the infertility diagnosis when R and I fled to the States. We miss a lot in each other's lives, it's inevitable even with people who do a better job of staying in touch than I do. But we're holding on still. Sometimes the thread is stretched mighty thin, but the advantage of silk is its surprising strength.

* I once said to R "Date me, date my friends." Good thing he liked them, and they, him.

3 Comments:

At 18:15 , Blogger Unknown said...

For me email is the only good way to keep in touch. I'm lucky a few of my friends really keep in touch still, otherwise I'd be out of the loop because they are so far away. So I totally know how you feel!

 
At 08:34 , Blogger Betsy said...

I've found that it's really hard to keep many friendships going through email alone. It's so surface and so informal and sometimes it's very difficult to express all of the emotional nuances of our daily lives.

Your friendship with RandB seems to have thrived despite time and distance, though, and that is rare and precious!

It's nice to see that you were able to get together and remind yourselves why you like each other so much in the first place! :-)

 
At 08:57 , Blogger Miss Kim said...

My best friend always sends me emails saying "Sorry...have no time to talk etc.." but at least I know she's thinking of me :)

There are few people who will be our lifelong friends, and that's okay.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home