Thursday, July 20, 2006

It's too hot for anything other than random bullets

Well, I'm stealing a page from Phantom Scribbler's book and giving you...random bullets of damn it's freaking hot.

  • It's hot. 35 Celcius. Air conditioning is not the norm here. Not at home, in shops, or, joy of joys, the bus.
  • I jumped in the river yesterday. That's the thing to do here in Big City. On a random Wednesday afternoon there were hundred of people down at the public bath by the river - by the way, don't you people have jobs? - and scores and scores of people walking upstream and then jumping in the river and floating back down to the bath. And yeah, how cool is it that our river is clean enough to do that. Small Boy was with Grossmutti so I went and jumped in the river. Twice.
  • I have a friend who laughs about my vocabulary. Apparantly I never use a monosyllabic word when a perfectly good multisyllabic synonym will suffice. Small Boy seems to take after me. He cannot or will not say dog (or the Swiss Hung) - all dogs are "rrrr rrrrr" - or bear (or the Swiss Bar) - those are "rarrr rarrrr" - or any number of simple baby monosyllabic words. He does, however, say "Bepanthen," which is the brand name of the diaper creme we use. Freak.
  • Floyd Landis collapsed like a house of cards yesterday.
  • I've got a post in my head about frozen embryos, stem-cell research, and Bush's veto, but it's trapped in my head (it must not know the multisyllabic password required to get out). Short version: I have frozen embryos. This is not some esoteric debate to me (well, it is to some extent an esoteric debate since it's taking place in the US and our embryos have teeny tiny Swiss passports) and if we still have some when our family is complete we're donating them to a research lab. To my mind, it gives them dignity and value. It allows them to leave their mark on the world. They'll never be the doctor who cures cancer, but maybe they'll be the cell line the doctor works on. That would please me.
  • People who think their moral view of the universe should be enshrined in law piss me off.

3 Comments:

At 15:21 , Blogger Choco Pie said...

He's such a total hypocrite,a warmonger who cries rivers for embryos.

 
At 12:24 , Blogger Berlinbound said...

I'm with you ...

 
At 09:42 , Blogger swissmiss said...

two-and-a-half more years...can the world just hold on two-and-a-half more years?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home