Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I cannot want what I might not get

You’d never know by reading this blog that we’re in the middle of our third attempt at a frozen embryo transfer; this has been my sole post on the matter so far. For the past week I’ve been taking my Progynova on schedule – I’m up to 2mg 2xday – and otherwise not really thinking about it*. I can’t afford to get too hopeful; I don’t think I can afford too much disappointment. In this post Elizabeth makes a great comment on the difference between generic hope and specific hope:
“I have been depressed and angry about my infertility before. I have cried before over how much I want a child and how unfair life can be. But I don't think I have ever been so saddened by the end of a specific cycle. I think it was because I have never allowed myself to have so much hope for a specific cycle. Usually, I cling to a safe, generic hope that eventually I will have a child of my own (and I include adoption in that scenario, an adopted child would be a child of my own).”
I know all about the generic hope. Three years ago this time I was preparing to begin my first IVF. At the time I believed that we would ultimately be successful though I was quite certain that our first attempt would fail. In fact, we were so certain that it had failed that when Frau S from Dr L’s office called R’s cell phone with my blood test results we didn’t take the call because we were about to get on the Autobahn and we didn’t want to have to drive home in the wake of bad news. We were so sure it was going to be bad news that we drove all the way back to Small Village before returning the call. When Frau S gave us the news – a beta of 361 at 14dp2dt: very definitively pregnant – and told us to drive back to the city to see Dr. L we didn’t really quite believe it. I don’t think I believed it until we saw the heartbeat a few weeks later. I’d always believed that eventually there would be a baby, but didn’t have the emotional strength to believe that specific IVF attempt would result in a specific pregnancy. If anything, I talked myself into anticipating a failure. Hope seemed too emotionally risky; it still feels that way. To believe that an FET will eventually work – I can do that. To believe that this specific FET will work, that I will be pregnant at Thanksgiving and that there will be an early December baby, that hope is too specific and too detailed. It opens the door to a specific and detailed pain. I hold myself at arm’s length from myself.

I’m also aware that I’m walking on a border that I cannot afford to cross. I need to stay on this side, in this country I live in. In this country I am happy, I am content, and the shape of my family pleases me, it is warm and comfortable and good. In this country I see the three of us still being a threesome ten years from now and I smile. In this country I would welcome a second child with a happy heart but I also know that today, right now, if we never have another child I’ll still be happy. Not just okay, but happy. But the harder we try for a second child, the more I dream that child into being, the harder it becomes to say that my family feels complete. Then, if the second child never comes I will have played away my contentment and I will always miss somebody I will never meet. Then ten years from now we will be a threesome but I will feel a shadow over my shoulder. Once I cross over into that other land, into that land where we are a family of three but no longer by choice, once I play away this deep contentment I have, what then? I cannot give my heart over to something that may never be, for once I cross over into that other land, I’m not sure there is an exit visa.

For that same reason, this may very well be our last FET no matter how it turns out. If we keep trying and keep failing I will one day find that I’m missing my never to be second child. And that is a country I cannot afford to live in.

* Ultrasound on Friday afternoon to check my lining

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 12:56 , Blogger christina said...

Wow. What a difficult, delicate balance this whole process is. You have a lot of courage, you know? And also--remember the law of attraction--I've been reading about it everywhere of late, and I think there is some truth in this. Not to encourage you to be too hopeful, to cross that border, but also to encourage you not to expect failure. Try some kind of neutral mantra such as "what is right, will be" because it will be. Hugs & love to you!

 
At 14:02 , Blogger Betsy said...

I agree with Christina, sounds like a highwire act!

Your post was beautiful; well-written and thoughtful. I hope that everything goes smoothly with the FET. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this round works out for you.

But most of all I hope you can continue to tap into this contentment you seem to have found because that is a rare and precious gift...

 
At 18:36 , Blogger moo said...

what a terrically insightful post. I can totally see where you are coming from. I am sending you a ray of good hope. Hang in there my friend. xxmoo

 
At 23:11 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting yourself out there in this post. she's right - very brave. and also, people who read your posts do care, in our own way ;)

I don't know anything about the laws of attraction, but i do believe positive thoughts, which is sort of different than hope, can have influence, and so can negativity.

Hang in there

 
At 13:19 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Christina - I've seen a lot about the law of attraction to, and I just can't bring myself to apply it to reproductive matters - I've got half a piece written on my feelings about this and suppose I should just finish it and post it.

Betsy - in so many areas of my life I'm not content, but in this one I actually am so yeah, I'm trying very hard to hold on to it

Thanks for the wishes moo and Jessica!

Jessican - the line between positive thoughts and hope is a fine one but I totally know what you mean and try to be optimistic while not getting carried away. Mostly I just try to pretend the whole thing isn't happening, like ooops, look at that I got pregnant!

 
At 08:06 , Blogger christine said...

So well put. I totally understand the highwire act.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home