Friday, August 31, 2007

We'll talk pretty one day

I seem to have been unclear in my post below about Small Boy's current preference for Swiss over English; I think this sentence is the culprit: "Usually we just go through our day bantering back and forth in this Swiss-English combo; I'm used to it; it's just the thing we do."

R and I do take a one-parent/one-language approach; we're quite strict about it, actually*. I speak exclusively English with Small Boy in private and in public, among English speakers and in front of people - including my in-laws - who don't understand English; R speaks Dialekt with him in Switzerland, Spain, and when we visit my family in the US. But Small Boy really only started speaking in April, and started using sentences only in June. If he speaks to me in Swiss I respond - but in English. That's what I meant by a Swiss-English combo. When he says "Mama! Look! Enteli!" I say, "Ducks? Really? Wow!" If he asks me for Brot, I'll say "You want a piece of bread? Okay. Here's some bread" but I am not prepared, at this point, to insist that he address me in English in the first place, nor do I think it's a good idea to pretend I don't understand him and wait for the word "bread." He knows perfectly well I understand Dialket and German and that I speak German with other people.

I've always assumed that we would have a "speak to Mom in English and Dad in Swiss" rule, and certainly a "respond to people in the language in which you're addressed" rule (that's just common courtesy, really), but I don't think it's fair to insist on that yet, not during this delicate stage when Small Boy is still naming his world, still getting his first taste of the wonder and power of words. His comprehension of both languages is astounding; speaking more English will come (I have to believe that). When he's older, when I think he's ready, I'll start insisting, but I don't think he's there yet. If there is one thing I understand about my son - and some days it feels like there is only one thing I understand about my son- it's that he's got his own sense of timing about these things.

I won't say it's not, as Jody remarked in comments, bittersweet. Not a bit odd to hear the utter Swissness with which he pronouces Milch. But it's a delicate thing. To take a language to heart - that's a profoundly intimate choice. It says something meaningful about how Small Boy sees himself and his place in the world and I need to respect that even while finding a way to pass on my gift to him, my mother-tongue. And not just any mother-tongue but the mother-tongue of Shakespeare and of Steinbeck and of Styron. The language of Martin Luther King's dreams. Of Willa Cather's pioneers and of Rebecca West's lambs and falcolns. I carry lightly in my hands the airy pleasure and the grave burden of passing on this heritage to my Small Boy. It's like handing him soap bubbles. If I push them on him, they pop. But if I pass them on gently, one day he'll float away on these words, words, words.

* I do use a handful of Swiss and/or German words for food. There doesn't seem to be a point to translating Spätzli, for example, even if a good translation were available (I don't consider Spätzli noodle-like); and to insist on croissant over Gipfeli strikes me as a bit absurd.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 20:11 , Blogger Global Librarian said...

All of the articles I've read on raising bilingual children state that children will switch preference back and forth between the two languages until they become equally proficient in both (generally about the age of 6 or 7).

The articles further state that parents should only use their native language with their child during the language acquisition years. Regardless of how fluent a person becomes in a second language, they will never speak it with the ease and natural flow of a native speaker.

 
At 08:23 , Blogger J said...

Just curious to know why R speaks to him in Dialekt instead of High Swiss German (or whatever it's called down there).

 
At 09:33 , Blogger swissmiss said...

GL - That's why I don't speak German with Small Boy; my German is pretty good but of course I make mistakes - why teach him bad German when I could teach him very good English??

There are so many ways bi-lingual kids react and adapt that I'm trying to follow Small Boy's lead within the larger one-parent/one-language framework. The most interesting bi-lingual family case study I ever read was a Dutch-UK family. They spoke Dutch in the Netherlands and English in the UK, but when they took the ferry back and forth the kids lost their moorings and spoke this crazy mix of the two. But only on the ferry.

J - The dialekt is realy the mother tongue around here; the Swiss have a strong preference for speaking Swiss over German, lest they be mistaken for - gasp - Germans or - even worse! - foreigners, but also out of a sense of identity. They're Swiss, after all. It's very interesting watching Swiss politicians - they always speak High German when interviewed on the news, but if they make a public speech, say on August first, they'll speak Dialekt.

Swiss kids learn German in school (in theory all classes ranging from literature to physical education are to be taught in High German, but that doesn't really happen. Music classes or art for sure lapse rapidly into dialekt), but unless there is a foreigner around (and not always then) Swiss speak among themselves in Dialekt. Four year old kids on the playground speak dialekt, teenagers figuring out what to do that night speak Dialekt, so that's the language Small Boy will need to know to make friends and (hopefully) fit in. He'll learn German (imperfectly) in the schools like all the other Swiss kids, but if he started school speaking German rather than Dialekt he'd be at a serious social disadvantage.

 
At 20:58 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi j - as J already explained "Swiss" or also called "Swiss German" is my mother tongue. While Swiss German is only a spoken language (well - there is a standardized written version of it but nobody knows it and nobody learns it as to write we then learn "High German" ["High German" being the "kind of german" German nationals speak] at school) it has it's own grammar and vocabulary. I believe "Swiss German" is an older form of German that then didn't evolve further. Well - I don't like the idea of being left behind by Germany but oh well. So as "High German" is a language that Swiss need to learn it is rare that a Swiss feels comfortable speaking it. While we speak it - for a non-mother-tongue-language - pretty well it always sounds and feels inadequate compared with a german speaking it. That's why we avoid it if we can. A lot of Swiss will prefer speaking english over "High German" as English is clearly a different language and if one makes mistakes then it doesn't feel as bad as doing the same in "High German".

Ok - did this clear things up a bit or make it worse :-)

 
At 00:01 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry. Our children are brought up bilingual as your boy, only with the difference mother talking swiss german, father talking english. Now the older one understood every word in english but refused to talk to his father, grandparents or cousins in english, even knowing, that grandparents won't understand him. This was untill he was four and then all of a sudden he started to talk fluently english. And now he switches amazingly between the two languages. So don't worry. Good thing was, his father knows now a lot of Swiss German :)

 
At 01:56 , Blogger Gardner said...

definitely not to worry about. Just enjoy the ride (which you are doing).

Our 2.5 year old daughter insists that my wife (english speaker in our home) say the english words. She let's me (the designated german speaker) say the german words for things.

But she talks german to the german kids and english to her brothers and sisters, and of course mom. With me she occasionaly says something in german.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home