Friday, August 24, 2007

The good part of packing

So far I have found:
  1. My mother's Kennedy silver dollar. She always carried this in her wallet and said, "As long as I have a dollar I'll never be broke."
  2. My father's five year AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) chip. For years I thought the block-style 5 on this pendant my father wore around his neck was a block S (for his last name). I don't remember if it was before he died or after that I realized it was to commemorate five years of sobriety. (He ultimately stayed sober - so far as I know, and I have no reason to doubt it - from 1979 until the day he died.)

I kept them together in a little velvet pouch that had gone missing. It had slipped behind a drawer and I found it today when I pulled out the drawer to purge and pack summer clothes.

These are little things, but I have so little from my parents that they're precious to me.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 14:41 , Blogger a/k/a Nadine said...

I'm glad you found them. They sound like things I would hold sacred as well.

 
At 21:10 , Blogger junebee said...

Ooh, good thing you found them before you moved and realized they were missing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home