Tuesday, June 14, 2005

I'm Back

I bet you didn't even know I was gone, since I'm pretty sure I'm not getting any traffic at all at this point. But trust me, I was away. And now I'm back.

We went to a wedding in Alcaniz, Spain. The bride was American, the groom was German, and the ceremony was in Spanish, except for the vows which were in English and German. The guests came from Europe, the States, Indonesia, Singapore. A true expat wedding. Or just a cosmopolitan one? (Except for the location, which was rural.) The ceremony was in the local cathedral. The reception and dinner were here.

Small Boy traveled well. He clearly inherited the travel gene from my side of the family - the people who drove from Chicago to Sun Valley, Idaho in 2.5 days. That's 1,650 miles/2650 kilometers in 2.5 days. On the flight down to Barcelona he didn't cry at all; on the flight back he cried after we had boarded and before it had started moving. He was tired - it was nap time and he didn't understand why he was stuck in his car seat and Mommy or Daddy wouldn't pick him up and hold him. But once the plane started moving he settled down and he was asleep before the wheels lifted. While in Spain he did about as well as we could expect a four month old to do on his first trip away from home. I did miss about half of the ceremony (but I caught the most important part - the vows) because it coincided with the just-before-bedtime-meltdown, but really, Small Boy did a great job. However, we have decided that it's not worth traveling again until he's a bit older. Honestly, he did as well as a Small Boy could do, but it's a bit much for us still at this age.

So today the two of us are hanging out at home relaxing and letting Small Boy get back into his rhythm. No cars, no car seats, no dragging him out to a restaurant. Just Small Boy doing Small Boy things.

1 Comments:

At 14:09 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a nice vacation in a great hotel - as you can see from the website that was linked to. My wife is right - it went as well as we could have hoped for but it is quite a difference to the kind of vacation that we have been used to. We will adapt and once the small boy is a bit older we will be able to "schlepp" him to more places. It will all be good :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home