Friday, October 28, 2005

The last dying hours of late summer

October is being very kind to us here in Switzerland - all this week it has been sunny and 20 degrees, warm enough for short sleeves in the sun. The mornings are chill and hazy, but by afternoon the fog burns off and the mountains stand out in sharp relief against the azure sky. Today a friend and I went to a park near the Uni, spread a blanket on the grass, drank take-out coffee and rolled around in the late summer sun with Small Boy. He pulled up hunks of grass and played with dead leaves, every now and then crawling over to destroy the block towers we made for him. The sun was warm - it could have been August but for the dried leaves crumbling in Small Boy's little hands. A last taste of summer, ever so slightly bittersweet.

2 Comments:

At 02:52 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last year this time, I was in Switzerland and it snowed! I almost froze to death it was soooo cold. I should have gone this year.... so glad the weather is nice !
btw.. do they still have the english speaking playgroup? I used to take my 2 oldest there... YEARS ago

 
At 20:11 , Blogger J said...

I can't believe how good the weather has been in Germany this autumn. It's extended cycling season.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home