Friday, May 19, 2006

The new dad

A new boy joined Small Boy's playgroup class this morning, accompanied by his father. His Californian father. After the class was over we chatted for a bit about this and that; I forget how much I miss (US-)American men, how much I miss having male friends. That much about my life has changed dramatically since moving to Switzerland. All my friends are women. Oh, I'm friendly with some of their husbands, but they're not my friends the way RandB are, the way K was. They're not my friends in their own right, they're my girlfriends' husbands. (Though I think A and I could go out for drinks and get into a good political arguement and have a good time.) I hardly even have male acquaintances; some people in our building I say hello to, Sophie's father when we're down watching over the kids at play at the same time. But really, just hello, good morning, how are you, good night.

It sounded like he would be back next week, that he will be the regular parent at playgroup. This could be very fun having a daddy acquaintance.

1 Comments:

At 01:41 , Blogger Writer and Nomad said...

i felt this way when i lived in boston. i don't know what it was, but men seemed to be in short supply. not potential boyfriends, but guys who'd be cool to hang out with. male friends are nice to have.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home