Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Kein Mensch ist illegal

I'm an immigrant. That's the flip side of being an expat, isn't it? One man's expat is another man's immigrant; it all depends on who's applying the label. From my own perspective, looking inward at myself, I’m an expat. Never, by the way, an emigrant. Emigrant has a ring of finality to it that I’m not willing to accept yet. From Switzerland’s perspective, looking outward at me, I’m an immigrant. "Expat" may be my self-selected social identity, but immigrant is my legal identity. I’m here legally; all my papers are in order, and I’m a privileged sort of immigrant: married to a citizen, the mother of a minor child who is also a citizen, they’d be hard pressed to deport me even if I ever did give them cause. Besides, they don’t want to deport me; I’m a “good immigrant.” You know: white, North American. When Europeans talk about their immigration problem, they’re not talking about me; they’re talking about those other people. I speak and read German and could pass a language competency test without breaking a sweat. I follow the Swiss news; I can name all seven members of the Bundesrat and, if you give me enough time, all 26 of the Kantons. I can place the five major political parties, and about five of the minor ones, on the political spectrum and I know better than to be fooled by the name Swiss Democrats. When Roger Federer plays Andy Roddick, I root for Roger. (But on the ski slopes my heart belongs to Bode.) But under the law I’m an immigrant, an Auslanderin, a fact of which I am constantly aware. I’m at the mercy of Swiss immigration policy. And because immigrant is my legal identity, it is my political identity as well. When certain political parties (links in German, French only) propose toughening immigration and refugee policy, my thoughts do not turn to my fellow privileged expats, they turn to the migrants, the immigrants, the refugees, the papierlos. As they go, sooner or later, so go I.

If were in DC, I’d be here.

Because I’m in Switzerland, I can say only this: Kein Mensch ist illegal (link in German).

No person is illegal.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 17:29 , Blogger Writer and Nomad said...

yes, it was amazing here. to see all these people taking to the streets. i wrote a blurb about this on my blog too. more a rant. as a minority, i also align myself with immigrants because i know how easy it is to be cast aside.

 
At 00:43 , Blogger Mike B said...

I once jokingly referred to myself as an Auslander, and one of the locals said, "No, you are an Ami, not an Auslander. Auslanders come from other places like the east."

The parties are simply making noise to keep the electorate happy. They will never close all the gaps, because its the only way the lousy jobs will get filled. Otherwise, Swiss employers, like American employers, would have to pay a market-wage to hire local help, and that would raise the costs of things like lettuce another 25% or so.

BTW ... if you pay enough taxes, you generally remain welcome.

 
At 02:42 , Blogger christina said...

Well, well said!

 
At 15:29 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Hi Mike - yes, the Swiss totally don't consider me an immigrant. They're like no no, you're an American we don't mean YOU.

And US consumers would Freak Out if they (we?) had to pay a fair cost for their (our?) food.

 
At 16:33 , Blogger Unknown said...

I so much wanted to be an immigrant to switzerland but they obviously didn't want me enough because I'm in Canada and waiting to be officially called an immigrant... But I do praise you for understanding German, unlike me.. But I get along alright in French..

 
At 05:19 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This whole labelling thing just makes me sad. I've had similar things said to me, cause I'm white and from a western nation I don't count as "one of those immigrants". A while back I've had a discussion about that going on my blog and it really seems to be true that you're much more welcome when you're white. As sad as it is!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home