Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Endlich hat es geklappt - positive beta results

I don't even know how to write this; I gave up on this cycle some time over the weekend, sure that it had failed again. Regardless of outcome, R and I had pretty much decided that this was going to be our last attempt and in my head I'd already moved on to thinking about all the good things about having a single child, all the small freedoms it might allow, all the ways I love that Small Boy is the only planet in our sky. I'd already decided that it was over and that I was happy. I didn't even know what to say when Frau S gave us our beta of 214 - nicely pregnant, though a single beta test is just that: a number. It's a nice little number, for sure, but until I see a heartbeat it's just a hormone coursing through my blood stream.

Not everybody reacts the same way, but infertility robs a lot of couples of our calm, of our ability to just believe that it worked, finally, and that everything is going to be fine. If you've read enough blogs and message boards, you know that everything might not be fine. You've seen time and again how fragile and arbitrary the distribution of luck is. You know too much (you've got that medical degree from Google University, after all, hanging on the wall just above the drawer where you keep your leftover needles and alcohol wipes), you've read too many times of how it all went wrong after it seemed to all be going right.

I was 18 weeks pregnant with Small Boy before we told R's parents. Eighteen weeks. Needless to say, they weren't exactly surprised - we see them every week after all. But there are all these dangerous milestones to get past. First ultrasound, see the heartbeat. The dangerous 6 to 8 week zone. Going off the progesterone at about 12 weeks and hoping the placenta will support the pregnancy after all. If you undergo amnio at about 16 weeks, there's the 1% risk of loss (big enough to steer me far far away from amnio; risk-averse does not begin to describe my approach to pregnancy). Waiting, waiting for the other shoe to drop. I think I exhaled at 24 weeks: viability.

So I appear to be pregnant, but I think it's going to be awhile before I can really believe that, say it out loud. By conincidence, I needed to buy more prenatal vitamins today; when asked if I wanted a box of 30 or a box of 100 I took the 30. What am I going to do with 100 prenats? Good lord, talk about tempting fate, I'll just take the smallest possible box, thanks. That's what I've been doing since FET #1. Just the thirty.

That's how I will come to believe in this pregnancy. One 30 tablet box of Elevit at a time.

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

At 17:22 , Blogger Miss Kim said...

I've been keeping up with what's happening to you and I just want to say that I really, really wish you the best of health throughout this exciting and scary time.
Kim

 
At 17:34 , Blogger a/k/a Nadine said...

Congrats on the good news and best wishes for continued good fortune.

 
At 17:59 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! That's GREAT news!!!!! CONGRATS! Here's to more great news to come!!!

 
At 18:00 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh what a glorious beginning.

please do me a favor and immediately start taking 3 additional mg of folic acid-just as a precaution

it won't hurt anything but it could help.

love and kisses

colorsonmymind

 
At 18:50 , Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

My fingers are crossed that you'll continue to have good news to report.

 
At 19:06 , Blogger christine said...

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! (in a "oh my god let the rollercoaster ride begin" kind of way) Oh and a small but very heartfelt "yay!"

And to think, neither of us even cheered this cycle. Just goes to show you what a lot of good it does. phooey!

 
At 19:16 , Blogger Global Librarian said...

Congrats!

Although I stayed on the prenatal vitamins even after we gave up. I liked how shiny they made my hair.

My sister is an ob/gyn. She said they are good for any pre-menopausal women. It's just they are more expensive.

 
At 19:53 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, I'm very happy for you and your family!

When I was pregnant with my daughter (after two very early miscarriages), I exhaled also around the 24th week, and it hit me very late (as late as the breastfeeding class - holding a doll in my arms -three weeks before the due date), that we will actually have a real baby very soon.

Take care, and all the best to you,

Stefanie from Länggasse

 
At 21:08 , Blogger Ms Mac said...

Well done! I'll be thinking of you and hope that all goes very, very well for yoU!

 
At 23:42 , Blogger Un-Swiss Miss said...

I'm so thrilled for you! Will be pressing my thumbs for the next three months. (Wow, will they get sore.) Seriously, BEST WISHES!!!

 
At 01:02 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

One box at a time, indeed. I am so happy for you!

 
At 02:05 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!

May the scary time pass quickly.

 
At 08:10 , Blogger Isabelle said...

Sending you both good wishes and happy thoughts! I'm so glad you got good news from the FET!

 
At 09:26 , Blogger Betsy said...

I just got happy chills reading this post! Will keep my fingers crossed for you! :-)

 
At 09:49 , Blogger Sara said...

wow!! first misschris and now you!! im so glad to hear the first good news, all my fingers and toes are crossed for both of you guys.

 
At 09:54 , Blogger Berlinbound said...

All good your way ...

Is small boy loving "The Adventures of Taxi Dog" ?? HH does!

Peace ...

R

 
At 09:56 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Thanks for all the congrats and good wishes - because R and I do this in secret, none of the people in our physical lives even know we're trying (though I think my mother-in-law saw the prenatal vitamins once), so it means a lot to have people out there happy for us.

Thea - I'll go get some folic acid, though I think one actually needs a prescription here. At least, I had a script for Small Boy.

Misschrisc - yeah, not only did I not cheer I was truly without hope. Attitude schmatitude.

Global Librarian - I can't be sure since we never tried in the states but I'm guessing prenats are WAY more expensive here. I just paid 19.90 for 30 tablets. Thats $16.35 for you 'mericans.

Stefanie - I'm sorry for your losses. When we took Small Boy home we didn't quite have enough baby clothes in the house; that's how long it took us to figure out that we'd actually take one of those things home.

 
At 09:57 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Berlinbound - Small Boy loves TaxiDog! I'll be going to NYC in late May sans Boy - I'm excited and scared.

 
At 17:59 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey congrats!!!

I know that this is just the first step on a long way but still it is great news!

Karinsamira

 
At 00:12 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

all the best. keeping my fingers crossed for you. I especially liked your reference to Google University -- so true.

 
At 02:44 , Blogger junebee said...

Ooh, that's great. I am really, really hoping for you. You have all our support.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home