Saturday, August 04, 2007

We're moving at the end of the month

I think of it more as changing apartments, since we're staying in the same building, but I guess it is actually moving since although we're only going 30 meters up the street we will be hiring - and paying - movers (because yes, we have that much stuff and you can be sure I won't be lifting any of it at almost 26 weeks pregnant). We will also be hiring - and paying - cleaners. When it comes to cleanliness standards at apartment-handover time the Swiss live up to the obsessive neatness and order stereotype; only the brave undertake cleaning themselves; only the optimistic hire cleaners who do not insure (yes, insure, as in financial insurance) that any apartment they clean will pass inspection.

Now I've never actually done this before, but I've heard stories. We left the house in Small Village nice and clean but since R's brother was the one moving into it we did not clean the electric outlets with a Q-Tip. Yes, that's one story I've heard. Cleaning every slat of every blind and shutter goes without saying. (Have I mentioned our windows go floor to ceiling in every room?) Decalcing the inside of the toilet water tank is expected (remind me to write a post about the calc in the water), though I know one woman who managed to worm her way out of that one somehow. I know people who were told they needed to take the windows out of the frames, clean all the glass, and clean the slots into which the windows fit. A friend of mine fought for six months to get their full deposit back over one cracked tile in the bathroom. Maybe they're all horror stories, maybe my friends just have really bad luck, maybe rental companies try to screw the foreigners (you think?),but I'm extremely curious as to just how exacting our move-out inspection is going to be. And I'm vaguely excited at having something so. very. Swiss. to blog about.

Oh, and why exactly are we going to all this trouble just to move 30 meters up the street? Because we have finally gotten into one of the long coveted garden units with five rooms!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 21:25 , Blogger a/k/a Nadine said...

Yay for the garden unit!

And suddenly my house seems down right filthy.

 
At 03:31 , Blogger junebee said...

By Swiss standards I would have never gotten a deposit back in my life.

 
At 11:33 , Blogger Sara said...

i hope it goes well for you!
we got back our full deposit on a swiss apartment without heavy duty cleaning but this was in the French speaking part :)

In France the last apartment we moved out of we left a few nail holes in the wall, the owner (who was very friendly) told us he was selling and didn't care about every last thing as it wouldnt change the amount he got for it, i was happily surprised.

 
At 10:03 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Nadine, our house is filthy! You know how some people feel like they need to lose weight before they go to the gym or start tanning before they hit the beach? I feel like I need to clean before the cleaners get here!

Junebee - sure you would - you'd have hired cleaners!

Sara - I hope it goes well too. I think a lot of the horror stories about moving are urban legends. I hope. I hate packing to move though.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home