Thursday, January 10, 2008

Bureaucracy American style, part last

Boychen is officially a US citizen and able to travel! Just one week after signing the forms, Boychen's Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America and passport arrived in the mail. One week. I'm astounded, actually. The Social Security card will come in a separate post from the US; it took about a month, I think, with Small Boy so we're still waiting on that.

Boychen's passport is one of the new electronic passports with the data chip embedded in it, which frankly I'm not all too happy about. I'm one of those crazy privacy advocates who think it's a security concern and will be the person in line in front of you at immigration unwrapping her son's passport from its packaging of tin-foil.

My appologies in advance for any delay this might cause.


Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 15:24 , Blogger Global Librarian said...

Instead of the tin foil, perhaps you could just purchase one of those passport holders that block RFID transmissions?

Here's one:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/910f/

But there are bunches out there!

 
At 17:26 , Blogger Greg said...

The wallet is cooler:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/8cdd/

Unsurprisingly, it is out of stock.

 
At 18:17 , Blogger Maria said...

What a flashback for me! The SS card took 3 months for The Boy (1 year ago). No kidding!

 
At 18:39 , Blogger christine said...

Yay Boychen! Dual citizenship rocks!

 
At 14:10 , Blogger swissmiss said...

I'll be looking into those passport holders.

And dual citizenship rocks until his eighteenth birthday when he will be required to register for the draft in spite of the whole lot of nothing the US govt will be doing for him up until that point...but hey, I didn't have to register him.

 
At 18:53 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still procrastinating from my paper, but I had to comment-
Find a microwave and microwave his passport. Alternately, get a very strong magnet. Either one should be sufficient to break/damage the datachip, or so I've been told. I did it anyway (microwaved) and got some very strange looks.

LostNoldo
(Fellow personal security freak)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home