Monday, July 24, 2006

Camera shopping (of the digital kind)...

...and looking for some advice. I know a lot of you are photographers/just got new digital cameras (Christina, Colors, J., Expat, Phantom) and I was wondering what you use and if you are happy/have any suggestions.

My 35mm is a Nikon, so I'm leaning towards a Nikon that would accept my old lenses and filters unless I hear from somebody who's really unhappy with their Nikon. But I'd also like to hear those of you with other brands if you're really happy with your cameras. I'll be ranging from taking big scenic pictures in the national parks over vacation to trying to capture the shapes and colors of Bern to random snaps of friends and family so I think I need to be able to change lenses - a telephoto for wildlife in Yellowstone is a must.

I'm not a pro but I think I've got a good eye and could make use of a slightly more powerful camera, especially if I took a class or two. Any advice?

6 Comments:

At 13:01 , Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

I have heard terrific things about the new Nikon. I am no expert though. I just got a canon rebel XT and I love it.

 
At 15:20 , Blogger Unknown said...

Since you have lenses already, really I'd stick with Nikon. I own a D70 and I really like it. Of course, I'd already love to upgrade to a D200 because of the photo quality difference. (well and price)

IF you are already know lots about the functions, then I'd say go for it. Although, you can still do a lot with the "easy" modes the Nikon has on the dial.

Check out dpreview.com - I think.

I'd also check out the Cannon C3 (I'm forgetting the exact model but Ginnie owns it and it is a great point and shoot ($400 range) - go to Ginniehart.blogspot.

I'm looking for something smaller to put in my purse and so I'd buy the Panasonic DMC-FZ30 or FZ70. I'd highly recommend those from word of mouth and chatting with a few people who have used them (quality of a DSLR but use of point and shoot.)

A must to check out is the dpreview. Also - I have a one other site which reviews the D70 and how to use every function (your settings are key to taking great photos with that camera).
(Must be posts from Mayish.)

Email me if you'd like thnkfst16 and it's in yahoo.

:)

 
At 15:51 , Blogger Unknown said...

I found the one link
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/

and

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz7/

It's just on the side bar with reviews.

:)

 
At 17:01 , Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

I don't think I can help. I have a Sony DSC T-something-or-other, not a good choice for someone with enough photography skillz to change her own lenses. But the next time that you're in the market for a camera that's, you know, cute, I'm happy to advise.

 
At 13:58 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Thanks for the advice and the links, I'll check them out.

 
At 14:01 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home