Thursday, August 24, 2006

Poetry Thursday - Time

This came to me as I was walking down the street with Small Boy in the stroller on the way to play group. Naturally it was the one time in one hundred I left the house without a notebook, because I figured I was just walking to play group and then afterwards we have to come right home for lunch and a nap. I knew the poem would never hold through the play group, so I called home and left it on my answering machine to transcribe later. Good thing it was a short one! Or maybe the circumstances made it short. I once read (in Writing Down the Bones, perhaps?) that William Carlos Williams wrote many of his poems on prescription pads and thus they are short - form following function, as it were. Maybe that is the case here. At any rate, here is a poem about stealing minutes that came to me, interestingly enough, in a stolen minute of walking down the street on the way to a child's play group.

**

I steal minutes like a magpie
Bright and shiny hoarded against the future
Like new pennies in a child’s pocket they beg to be spent
But what is worth this treasure?

I spend them not, I line my nest.
Silly magpie.

**

You can find more Poetry Thursday here.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 13:50 , Blogger Writer and Nomad said...

oh, that's wonderful. i wrote a poem about stealing an entire day. and i too wrote that poem while out (away from my then newborn baby and a notebook). i scribbled it on a business card.

i love the imagery of it and of course, the subject matter. it seems that inspiration always strikes when you forget your notebook. :)

 
At 00:31 , Blogger Jim Brock said...

I'm totally charmed by this poem, especially with the final two lines. Thank you!

 
At 03:07 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

love it :-)

 
At 13:03 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Thank you for commenting - I haven't written poetry in almost a decade and I feel very fragile putting these up. I'm amazed that I can still put something together after such a long time away from the form.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home