Friday, November 17, 2006

Scattered thoughts




A decade ago I scattered my mother’s ashes in Trail Creek, north of Ketchum, Idaho. As best as I can recall, this is the spot I sent her into the river, though it’s hard to be sure. I scattered her ashes in winter, and trout streams wear different faces in winter, snow and ice blanket and blur the distinctive curves and dips of their banks, half-frozen water changes the way the river runs, makes narrow what in summer is broad. But I think this is the spot – I remember that tree. I chose it because of that tree, because of the way the creek was slowly undercutting the bank there and carving a deep pool that in the summer would be shaded and in the autumn would be rich with rotting detritus. I chose it because I was trained to look at rivers with a fisherman’s eye and because when I saw that spot with the water undercutting the bank, changing what thought itself to be unchangeable, my heart said yes and my feet said stay.

So I scattered my mothers ashes in the winter chill, and with them I scattered the ashes of a letter I had written to her, a letter closing the conversation we never really had, a letter I burnt right there on the banks of Trail Creek. I scattered all my disappointment, all my anger – much justified, some not – all my self-pity and all my unfinished business. All the unsaid things, kind and unkind, I put in that letter, burnt to ash and sent downstream.

My mother was deeply, deeply flawed – alcoholic, in all likelihood self-medicating a very real depression; bitter and unhappy and incapable of watching happiness unfold its butterfly wings in her presence. I have pictures of her from an earlier time and she looks happy, but I do not know that woman. By the time I was growing up my mother was a storm cloud and the least little thing could seed her to rain. I learned to hide, to shrink and avoid, to keep my voice low – to this day R can’t hear something I say almost daily, and I am even quieter in German – and to head for the barn when I saw storm clouds gathering. But I have pictures of her from an earlier time and she is smiling, at Warm Springs, Idaho, she is smiling and oh! in one or two of these pictures she is lovely. Her loveliness surprises me; I did not know that woman, either. I do not know what happened to that woman, where she went, or why.

My mother should not, probably, have had children; or she should only have had one, being my older brother, so that I evaporate from this story like invisible ink leaving not a trace on the page. We overwhelmed her limited resources, the alcoholic daughter of an alcoholic mother. We were too much. I, the second child, was too much. I am hyper-aware of this as I wait to find out if I am pregnant, hyper-aware of my status as the second child of a woman who had one child too many, hyper-aware of my own shortcomings as a mother.

But I have scattered these thoughts already. I wrote this and said this to the winter air and burned this and scattered this in Trail Creek a decade ago. I have scattered all of this. But today is my mother’s birthday, my flawed, wounded, hurtful, hurting, overwhelmed mother’s birthday and I am waiting to find out if I am pregnant with my second child and out of the corner of my eye here in the clean Swiss wind I see ashes swirling where they should not be swirling.

I sent this downstream a long time ago, to slowly settle among the river rocks beneath the cottonwoods. Didn't I?


Labels:

11 Comments:

At 22:19 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

(o)

 
At 23:36 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a difficult one to comment about. Except to note well that you're aware, and that's probably the biggest plus (and defence) you have.
Take care.

 
At 23:52 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. I admire your candor.
The picture and your first sentence gave me a start, since I scattered my dear father's ashes on Newman Creek (just off Baker Creek) last July.
Best wishes.

 
At 00:18 , Blogger jo(e) said...

What a beautiful post.

(o)

 
At 03:26 , Blogger junebee said...

Very touching post. Beautiful pictures too.

 
At 12:06 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautifully writen...

 
At 03:25 , Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

hmmm I had to read this in bits to absorb it. I also had to question how I lost coming to check in on you. You are now on my bloglines so I will be here more:)

Anyway-wow. This post-pretty intense for me-espeacially since our mothers b days are so close (my mothers is the 21st) and they sound a bit similar-especially how you described her in the end. My mother was so wounded too and never happy it seemed.

She almost gave me up for adoption-the couple was there at the hospital when she went into labor, and waited only to be told she had changed her mind. Since she often made it seem raising me was such a burden and sacrifice, I too wondered many times if she should have kept me. I am glad she did though.

Anyway, I have been holding out on sprinkling her ashes into a lake where we used to picnic.

I can relate to so much you say.

I hope the twinges and pulls are draft pick burrowing in.

We are planning on doing an FET in Jan.

I will be back soon.

Much love to you

 
At 16:39 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most likely, knowing you're about to find out about your next child, your conscious is calling up all its own fears. That's normal, even rational. You will have a second child, and she or he will be everything you are and more.
My father definitely should not have had children, not even one. But he did, then f-ed that up miserably, and me in the process. I cannot shake him, however, nor rid him from my thoughts or memory. We cannot choose our families, just learn from their strengths and mistakes I suppose.
I hope you find out happy news.

 
At 16:42 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Phantom, jo(e), junebee, trish and lillian - thank you for hugs and compliments

Niel - self-awareness is a plus, i guess, but not always all it's cracked up to be....sometimes I think ignorance would be bliss

Liz - thanks for stopping by and sharing. Condolences on the loss of your father.

colors/thea - welcome back. and wishing you strength around this time - birthdays followed by family-centered holidays are a bit rough. It was hard to do, but I have to say scattering my mom's ashes was the best thing I ever did and I hope you find the time that feels right to do it. Thank you for your thoughtful comment.

Jessica - you're exactly right. I've been kind of freaking out about this FET and wondering if we should go through with it and as soon as I wrote that post I realized OH! so that's what I'm afraid of! And it did a lot to dissipate my fear, since I'm not my mom and I don't have to be like her. Isn't it frustrating how even as adults we seem to drag our parents around with us? Do you read Phantom Scribbler's blog (she's in my links) - she has a lot of thoughtful things to say about the legacies of our families.

 
At 17:56 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful post. You are such a gifted writer and can articulate even the most nuanced and difficult emotions!

It is so sad to realize that your childhood was so difficult (for you as well as for your mother). But I get a sense that you have overcome a lot of your anger and that you have found your own ways of making peace, even if the memories continue to haunt you.

Good luck navigating all of the emotional pitfalls that unfortunately come with this sort of anniversary.

Would it be weird for me to give you a virtual hug? :-)

 
At 13:13 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Thank you Betsy - virtual hugs accepted!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home