Monday, December 04, 2006

The streets of my city: Christmas Market Monday edition

I'm not very happy with these pictures of the Christmas Market; they're very uninspired. In my defense, I have always thought that the Bernese Christmas Market itself was very uninspired. Lame, even. It's pretty much the regular market decorated with pine boughs.



I've never travelled to Germany for some of the more famous markets, but I have friends who have and they all agree that the German markets put our little Bernese market to shame. (With the possible exception, it seems, of J's Christmas Market - you'll remember that Christmas Market Monday was his idea.)



The market is actually divided into two sections, one on the Weisenhausplatz near the train station and the Bundeshaus, and a second part on the Münsterplatz. These pictures are from Weisenhausplatz section; I do think the stalls down at the Münsterplatz are a little more Christmas markety, but I didn't make it down there for pictures.



My favorite thing about Bern during Christmas time are the decorations of the lower Old Town, between the Zytglogge and the river; it's so lovely. I'll be posting some pictures throughout December to redeem my fair city in your eyes.

You can read about Christmas markets in Nürnberg, Schloss burg, Jena and Weimar, Munich, and Hannover and Dullsville, too. And a non-Christmas market in Chiang Mai (Thailand).

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 21:21 , Blogger J said...

Funny, I thought the same when I saw how pathetic my Christmas Market was. I said to myself, 'Ut oh, I'm in real trouble now.'

 
At 03:14 , Blogger junebee said...

No matter the uninspired pictures. They're still more scenic than the bland American shopping malls.

 
At 04:19 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmmm you don't think they are great your pics.. I do. Make sure you drink Glühwein at the Münster Weihnachtsmarkt in the evening...

 
At 06:25 , Blogger Berlinbound said...

And don't forget Cologne and Aachen ... the Christmas markets in both cities are pretty great.

 
At 23:44 , Blogger Unknown said...

I loved going to Bern to see the markets. Ok they aren't that great, but just think how it feels when you don't have anything/one at all. :)

Thanks for taking those pics.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home