Monday, April 09, 2007

And a good time was had by all?

It was not what you would call a wildly successful little getaway.

It being April the sledding was sub-optimal, R got a sunburn that makes him glow in the dark (this is so uncharacteristic of R that I can only wonder what body snatcher took hold of my ever-prepared Swiss Army man), Small Boy got some weird as-yet-unidentified allergic (I presume) reaction that swelled up his face until his eyes looked like two raisins jammed into a dough ball, and I am more tired and far far crankier than I was before the weekend began. We came back a day early - mostly because Small Boy's face looked so strange and though he had no other symptoms or difficulty breathing or, really, any apparant discomfort we didn't want to be about an hour away from the closest hospital in case things took a turn for the serious.

I did, however, manage 90 minutes alone on a terrace in the sun facing the alps - and I think I prefer the Grissons to the Bernese Oberland, but that may just be R's childhood in Arosa rubbing off on me the way my childhood in Yellowstone has rubbed off on him - with a cappucino mit Schlagrahm (whipped creamed - I guess that's Schlagsahne in proper German but the Swiss say Schlagrahm), a piece of apple torte, and this book. So it wasn't a total loss. But it's a long way to go for a cup of coffee.

UPDATE: Further Googling suggests that the facial swelling was probably a reaction to the altitude (1800 meters in the village and higher when we went sledding), which makes more sense than an allergic reaction since he didn't eat any new foods, as far as we know, and has shown no tendency to food allergies of any kind so far. It also explains why he looked a lot worse Sunday afternoon when we went further up the mountain. He is looking better, but not totally back to normal, today.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 20:48 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know....I might go through all that for 90 undisturbed minutes with Ann Patchett (her non-fiction Truth and Beauty is also wonderful).

 
At 23:57 , Blogger thea said...

giggle....

I am glad you got 90 minutes of what sounds like bliss out of it.

Hope small boy is feeling better-less swollen.

Hugs

 
At 09:14 , Blogger christine said...

Any getaway sounds good right about now. The 90 minutes sounds divine. We take what we can get, right :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home