Tuesday, May 29, 2007

New York, New York!

I can't believe I haven't mentioned this, but looking back over recents posts it appears I have not mentioned that I am going to NYC. Tomorrow. Sans Boy. Sans husband. For a week. I'll spend three days at a writing retreat and the rest of the time I'll play tourist, shop (affordable maternity clothes! cheap socks! combined deoderant/anti-persirant! an FDNY t-shirt for the Small Boy!), eat (Chinese food! a real hamburger! deli sandwiches! cheap tacos! Chinese food!)*, and see old friends (R&B! M! NYCS!).

I've been looking forward to this trip for a long time, but I have to confess the closer it gets the more I think about how much I will miss the Small Boy. I really need this time alone - oh how I am looking forward to an empty hotel room! - but I know I'm going to miss the Boy something fierce. I've never been away from him for more than a day and a half, and certainly never an ocean away.

I'm curious, if nothing else, about how it will go. For both of us.

* If this trip doesn't put on a few pounds for the pregnancy I can't imagine what will!

7 Comments:

At 19:21 , Blogger a/k/a Nadine said...

Happy travelling! And eating!

 
At 14:26 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Swiss Miss,

We'd love you to list your expat blog on our new website, to help us build a great resource for all women living overseas.

Please take a look at our site at: www.ExpatWomen.com.

Thanks,

April.

 
At 18:09 , Blogger christine said...

Oh I just did this. We went to Mexico. I was scared to death to leave him. It went very well though for both of us. He loved being with his grandparents and I didn't dwell on him the entire trip like I thought I would. In fact a few times he totally slipped out of my thoughts. That was surprising.

The odd parts were that I felt like I had lost my sidekick. I mean I never realized how much a part of my identity he is. I was no longer that mom with the cute little boy. I was just ordinary, boring me. I found myself wanting to tell people Hey I have a little boy like that too! Mine does that too! And then I of course thought he looked like he was at least 25 when I returned because he'd grown a mustache and was wearing mucle shirts and smoking (or so it seemed in my mind) He was definitely taking some kind of steroids of something because he was enormous. I swear try measuring him before you leave and see if I'm not right.

Have fun though. It sounds like a trip I would love to be going on! I'm very jealous.

 
At 06:09 , Blogger thethinker said...

Sounds like you're going to have a fun week! I've never been to NY before (so I'm definitely jealous).

 
At 07:59 , Blogger Betsy said...

Hope you have a wonderful time, both in New York and upon returning when you get to hug Small Boy again! :-)

 
At 12:44 , Blogger Michelle said...

Have a great trip!

 
At 21:46 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am muchos jealous. i can't wait to hear about the writing retreat...what did you focus on, any good pieces come out of it? was it a good environment? i did one here in Europe and it was great. Eat some taco bell for me...that'll help with the weight and i can live vicariously

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home