Monday, May 07, 2007

Other People's Children

Remember Rock Boy? He's moved on to less destructive projectiles - handfuls of wet sand - but apparantly he's still got a thing for throwing stuff at my windows. What's with that? I honestly cannot think of anything I've done to give the kid reason for having it in for me and my windows - aside from yelling at him the first time he threw stuff at my windows - but he's drawn to our floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the play area like the proverbial moth. Granted, they do present an almost irresistable target for a bored seven-year-old, and Rock Boy seems to me to be a test-his-limits-and-see-what-he-can-get-away-with type, but you'd think he'd have learned the first time that I, as it happens, am a walk-over-to-your-apartment-and-rat-you-out-to-your-parents type. Which I did, and his mom made him come over here and wash the windows. He also apologized and shook my hand. Go Neighbor Mom!

I'm uncomfortable discussing another child's behavior with their parents, especially because it means I have to cross the language and cultural barrier in an area - Other People's Children (OPC) - that is ripe for opportunities for misunderstanding and offense taken, but I do it. For eggregious breaches of conduct like throwing things at my windows, I do it. I've seen him doing other things that I wouldn't necessarily want to see Small Boy doing, things that I've simply observed from our balcony but that didn't affect me or mine (putting rocks in the neighbors' fountain, picking a flower from their beautiful garden), and not said anything; but when it comes to my home and my kid, I'll absolutely go to the parents about it. If there are no parents around, I will under a limited set of circumstances discipline OPC. Limited meaning if I think they're messing unduly - I know kids rough-house and I'm learning to stand back and watch for a lot longer than I used to - with Small Boy or if it looks like somebody, anybody, is actually getting hurt or is about to do something dangerous. (A different neighbor boy used to sneak out of our backyard play area and cut through the yard behind us which led him to a street. If I ever saw him starting to make a break for it I'd call his name and tell him to stop, and he usually did - or my calling his name made his mom come running.)

I actually don't know the cultural standard on stepping in with OPC here - or in the US, for that matter. I'm not sure what's expected or accepted. (Neighbor Mom - a Swiss - was glad I came over and said something. She was inside with the younger child, the older boy was playing outside, and you just can't see everything and she said it's good for Rock Boy to know other people are watching him too.) I try to do what I'd like to see done if the situation were reversed- if Small Boy ever threw rocks at somebody's apartment I'd want to hear about it and have the opportunity to make Alex apologize, do the responsible thing (clean up, pay for or work off damages), and learn something. So I go by instinct, even when it means I have to go over to Neighbor Mom and say "Um, I need Rock Boy for about five minutes. He needs to clean my windows."

What do you do when you see OPC crossing the line?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 13:48 , Blogger Maria said...

It depends...if it is someone I know (my aunt's kids, neighbor, etc), I scold them, and explain what happened to the parent. Sometimes I just give them a dirty look. If I do not know the parents and child well, I will just go tell the parents... unless it is hurting my own child. Then I will scold them right then and there.

I get the feeling (in both countries) that some parents just don't care. They allow their children to run amok, and when the child is scolded and laughs at the parent, the parents just shrug their shoulders. I swear, if my child ever does that... whew.

 
At 19:10 , Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Interesting, but also difficult, as I don't have any kids. But I can tell you one thing. My parents were glad when neighbours came over to say that we had "played a trick" on them - which wasn't often - but nevertheless, we had to pay the price. I would definitely go and tell the parents if it offends you directly.

As for seeing what he does to the neighbour's garden, I'd let them know if they ask (or if it's too bad to just ignore), then let them deal with it.

 
At 21:50 , Blogger christine said...

We have a park near our house that is conveniently located next to a restaurant terrase (ie. you can abandon your unruly kids while you drink a beer and chat on your cell phone) Just today a little boy around age five was there alone. He screamed at Little S "mais bouge ta fesse!" (come on move your butt!) while poor Little S was trying to perfect climbing this difficult ladder he's been learning to climb. I was helping him so I was right there. Later as Little S was climbing up the ladder again the kid purposely blocked him so he was stuck in mid climb. I went over and said sarcastically to him "mais bouge ta fess!" It felt so good to say that. I am such a child! But then of course I looked around to make sure no parents heard me!

Btw I am a total rat when kids are awful. I will interview every parent at the park to find the mother of the child throwing rocks and then go over and tell her, bad accent and all!

 
At 23:49 , Blogger Global Librarian said...

I grew up in a small town. If we sneezed at someone funny, my parents got a phone call. And when you are one of five children, more people notice you. Yep, it took a village alright. And some of them took their jobs very seriously.

I have to admit there are times when I involved myself, but it was my job. As a manager in a public library I would be the one to make those telephone calls.

Sometimes the conversation went something like this "Oh, you don't think your sweet little Johnny could do that? Would you like to come down and view the security camera footage? We've got Johnny doing exactly that on tape."

Only once did a parent ask to view the tape before they would believe me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home