Saturday, May 12, 2007

Uh-uh. Ang.

Last summer, Julie wrote about finding herself explaining Charlie's delay in walking in a way that felt like an apology. At the end of the post she asked, as Julie often does, what about you? If your child has a delay that other people notice, how do you handle it? Have you ever found yourself apologizing, and if so, how do you overcome it (the temptation to explain/apologize/justify)? I left this comment at the time:

At almost 18 months my son has a remarkably limited vocabulary (your recent post about all of Charlie's new words put me into a five-minute tail spin) and I have noticed recently that I'm pulling out the old "bi-ligual babies generally have a langauge delay" chestnut more often. (Anecdotal evidence often pegs the delay in terms of months; more scholarly literature suggests the delay is similar to the delay of boys relative to girls - 4 to 6 weeks) I think I do this not to protect myself lest anybody question my parenting, but to "protect" my son - I would hate for anybody to judge him, think he's not smart, etc, so I throw out there the idea that for a boy in his situation (bi-lingual household, sort of tri-lingual world at large) it's not so odd to have a limited vocabulary at 18 months. (We have had his hearing checked to make sure it's a language thing and not a hearing thing, so now it's a matter of patience.) I try not to worry about this, and most days I don't, but then a 20 month old boy at play group - who is also bilingual - says keys (rather, Schlussel) which is one of Boy's favorite things and he doesn't say keys yet (or Schlussel) and I worry a bit.

Mostly I wish he'd hurry up and talk because at the moment to tell me he's hungry he walks into the kitchen, points at the fridge, and yells; to tell me he wants to listen to music he points at the stereo and yells; to feed the cat, he points at her food dish and...you get the point. Words would cut down on my headache tablet bills enormously.
R and I tried not to worry about Small Boy's "delay." We kept an eye on it and brought it up with the pediatrician at the 18-month check. Dr. Norwegian asked if Small Boy used "Mama" and "Papa" properly, which he did at 18 months (well, he calls R "Dada," but same thing) and had a small handful of other words as well. A small handful, but they were there. That was enough for Dr. Norwegian to say everything is fine for now, we'll bring it up again when he's two. And most days I was able to let it lie. There were enough reasons not to worry: boys begin speaking later than girls; according to conventional wisdom many bi-lingual children experience a delay in the onset of speech (however, as I noted in my comment to Julie's post, the more scholarly literature suggests the bi-lingual delay is a matter of weeks rather than the assumed months; that I knew this going in served to seriously erode the comforting potential of this little mantra, yet I employed it regularly nonetheless); Small Boy's comprehension in both languages was, and remains, what I can only personally consider astounding; and I trust Dr. Norwegian. I tried to remember what Mausi said in this post: "Most parents tend to panic much too early."

Still, posts like this about all of Charlie's new words or the latest Baby Blue conversation would make me nervous and unsettled. (I'm linking back to year-old posts because I specifically remember reading these and getting that feeling at the time.) I'm a worrier, after all. (What? Me? Worry?) And I'm an over-educated upper-class American mother (yes I live in Switzerland now but I spent my first 30 years in the US - you can take the girl out of the US but you can't take the US out of the girl), meaning I have absorbed through my very pores the idea that every! facet! of! my! child's! development! is! my! responsibility! I do all the "Right Things": I talk to him constantly, read him stories, reinforce his speech, listen to him and respond when he communicates with me, and never tell him he's pronouncing something wrong but rather just say "Yes, that's a bus." And this kid just. wasn't. talking.

Then about a month ago* I was taking him for a walk and I saw a huge fat bumblebee. I said "Look! A bumblebee!" and Small Boy said "Bum-bum bee!" and he's never looked back. Bum-bum bee! Ant! Lay-ee-bug! Bee! Bee-tull! (Yeah, he's all about the bugs.) Mice! Grape! Leep (sleep)! Doo-eece (juice)! Home! Alloo (hello)! Bye-bye! Hand! Hep (help)! In! Out! And there's Swiss, too. Choeme (come)! Abe (down)! Auto! Klee (small)! Bisi (pee)! Wys (white)! Deku (blanket)! Mit (with)! Eis (one)! Every day there's something new, two, three, four new words.I have no idea what happened, what made him decide he was ready and willing to talk, but really from one day to the next he just exploded with new words. And I believe he decided. I remember when he started to walk - also maybe a little behind the curve. But one day he just walked. No cruising around the sofa first, no tentative three toddling steps before toppling over. One day that boy just up and walked. The first time he climbed a little ladder at the playgroup he did it when I wasn't even watching. After weeks of my trying to encourage him up the ladder, he just decided it was time to climb. And I think for whatever reason, about a month ago he decided to talk. He was ready.

When Small Boy was a newborn, I called him my wee small boy. Sometimes I still do, but these days when I do he shakes his head and says "Uh-uh. Ang." (Ang is his way of adorably mispronouncing his own name.) No, he's saying, I am not a generic little boy. I am Ang. Yes. Yes he is, and the more often I remember that, the more often I exhale and remind myself that he's going to do his thing when he is ready to do it (and isn't that what I want for him anyway?) and not when a chart tells him to, the better off we're both going to be. For he is Ang and nobody else.

(But at night, when I peek at him sleeping, he is my wee small boy. When he is tall enough to look me in the eye, he will still be my wee small son.)

* And by "about a month ago" I mean April 6 at about 14:30, because of course I'm going to remember that bum-bum bee for the rest of my life.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 16:35 , Blogger Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I'm bookmarking this entry. I don't have children yet, but if/when I do, they will be in a bilingual household and I know I'm going to freak out, er, I mean, be concerned about development issues.

Bet you were never so glad to see a bumblebee in your whole life ;)

 
At 18:57 , Blogger a/k/a Nadine said...

Yay for the bum-bum bee!

Wonderful post.

I was a late talker because my older sister did all the talking for me. My parents would ask me a question and she would respond (i.e. "Are you hungry?" "Yes, she wants a peanut butter & jelly sandwich.").

 
At 19:58 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray! And thanks for writing this.

My son (almost 21 months) isn't much of a talker in our monolingual environment. I watch and wait and try not to worry (our 2 year check up is my deadline for panic to begin in earnest).

I'll be hoping for a bum bum bee moment of our own.

 
At 11:06 , Blogger christina said...

Oh wow, what a wonderful post. And yes, I was all ready with the "most parents panic much too early" until I read the last part, which actually brought tears to my eyes. I believe some children just do need time to think and process it all before they start with their own personal language explosion. Nothing to do with being bilingual or smart or anything of the sort. One day they just put all the pieces together and away they go.

A big hooray for the Small Boy!:-)

 
At 02:45 , Blogger junebee said...

This post definitely touches a nerve with me. Branch and Blossom are nearly two and a half and don't talk. They have said random words, but despite our best efforts and encouragement, the words are never repeated. Like you, we read books aloud, talk to them, sing, play music, etc. We have a speech therapist, but frankly, it seems like one of those jobs anybody can do. All she does is play with the kids. I am not sure what exactly is therapeutic about it. This is through the state program, and it made me extremely paranoid to participate. Like any good Republican, I feel the less
government is in my life, the better.

"meaning I have absorbed through my very pores the idea that every! facet! of! my! child's! development! is! my! responsibility!" I think this is in a large way, formulated by American capitalism, which always wants to sell you another book, toy, CD or whatever which is supposed to enrich you and/or your child, when in reality what it does is prey on parent's insecurities that their child may not be "normal". I found, as a new parent, that the "kid industry" was the only thing worse than the "chick industry" (make-up, clothes, hair products, magazines, diets, that promise to make you a more attractive/smarter
/better-employed/more eligible womsn.)

I don't really apologize for them not talking yet. Like Julie, though, I do try to deflect the problems by bragging on their strengths. I think that's natural as a parent, to point out what's positive about your child if others point out the negative.

We speak mostly English, but the Citizen is Chinese and his parents only speak Chinese. Therefore it will be important for the kids to speak Chinese. The Citizen and I also speak some Spanish and love the culture. We've had two South American nannies who spoke (with our encouragement) Spanish to the kids . I thought the multi-lingual thing was supposed to be enriching, but now I have second thoughts.

Sometimes I wonder if they ever will talk. I have lost sleep over this, combed the Internet, researched and read, and there seem to be no answers. Add to that the insult of having the state get involved, and it adds up to a very distressing situation. :(

 
At 03:51 , Blogger christina said...

So exciting for you! YAY for Small BOy! And--I was one of those talkers who waited until I could say full sentences, and then I never looked back !:)

 
At 05:36 , Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

You know, my children are both extravagantly verbal, but there are plenty of other developmental areas (cough ***potty usage*** cough ***eating*** cough) in which they are doing the same "long delay then sudden leap forward" pattern. And it is, I agree, utterly nerve-wracking.

But an enormous mazel tov to you and Small Boy on his first bum-bum-bee!

 
At 12:45 , Blogger christine said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 14:27 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Sognatrice - thanks for stopping by; I checked out your blog it's beautiful and I'll be back!

Nadine - my (monolingual) nephew was the same way - a very late talker because his older sister did all the talking for him. When he did start to talk he was impossible to understand and the older sister had to "translate." Now at seven you'd never know. Somebody once said "when they'll 10 who cares how old they were when they learned to X?" and it's true.

Brooklyn Girl - I hope you have your bum bum bee moment soon. If only to make your life a bit easier once the new one comes along. Easier said than done, but try not to worry. Your boy sounds like mine - physical, learning the world through his body and words are of secondary importance.

Christina (DE) - I think even if he'd been monolingual Boy would have taken his time talking. The more I watch him the more I see he's a watcher and a waiter...he seems to wait to try to do things until he's pretty sure he can do them. That gives me a whole other host of things to "worry" about, but it seems to be his personality style.

Junebee - It's hard to know when kids are being themselves and when to get involved, isn't it? I guess EI can't hurt though, and that's what the state is for, to do the things (EI, public education) that are just too daunting for everybody to do themselves. I do agree with Mausi though that a delay is almost always caused by something other than the bi-lingualism itself. I think it's great that they're exposed to Chinese and Spanish and I can't imagine that would have "caused" a delay (other than a fairly minor one). I'm just sorry it's distressing for you, and I hope a year from now you're saying to yourself "ah, what was I worried about. Now if I could just get them to keep quiet!"

Christina (US) - It is quite a relief. Some of your recent Bean conversations (since they're almost the same age) made me jealous of his words. But Small Boy will get there when he gets there.

Phantom - I guess because I'm so verbal I assumed Small Boy would be too, but he's turning out to be a very physical boy. I have to learn a whole new set of skills. My dreams of him one day reading on the couch for an hour are slowly fading...

Misschrisc - R is home quite a lot, actually, aside from the random Army stint. But no, I wouldn't say he's gone a lot. If anything, I'd say Small Boy's bilingual life is a lot more bilingual than the bilingual kids of a lot of my friends - I'm willing to bet he gets more exposure to dialekt than a lot of kids with stay at home English speaking moms because of the grandparents and the way R has arranged his day to be home quite a lot. Ack, I'll be emailing you. I have to say with Small Boy I never thought the delay was because he's bilingual and I never considered giving up one language. Chances are he'd have taken his time anyway. When I re-read that comment I'd left for Julie I'd forgotten about that pointing and yelling stage (blocked it out, more like!). Boy, that was rough and I hope you pass out of yours soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home