Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Snowstorm

The Boychen cries.

The Boychen cries and cries and cries until I feel like I'm lost in a snowstorm and can't see my way out of it and all I can think about, as the snow swirls around me, is how nice and cozy I was before I set out into this storm. Warm and safe at home by the fire with my little family of three, and I set out into this snowstorm by choice, ripping up all my comforts on an icicle wind.

He cries until I cry and think that we did, in fact, make a mistake; that all my ambivalence was well founded; that I've shredded my happy little family and tossed the pieces out into the winter wind; that we will never find a way to mend these four pieces; that we will never be happy again. He cries until I can't see through it anymore, until I can't remember if I love him.

He cries until I put him in the stroller and walk and walk and walk. I walk the streets of the most beautiful city in the world and see nothing. Without even looking up I walk past vistas that once made poetry pour out of me as easily as snow falling from the sky. I walk without thinking, I walk without direction, I walk without seeing. I walk until the Boychen sleeps.

When the Boychen sleeps I keep walking. I walk along the river, I walk past the embassy, I walk through the Old Town, I walk until I can hear something besides the sound of his cries. I walk until I look up. I look up until I see something. The Münsterturm keeping watch over the Old Town. A cherry-red tram reflected in the waters of the Aare. The slope of the Rosengarten. The cobblestones of the Old Town. The statue of Gerechtigkeit. I walk until I can see these things. I walk until I can breathe. I walk until I remember that I love him. Until this. Until this. I walk until this.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 22:24 , Blogger BrooklynGirl said...

Oh, honey.

Wishing I could crawl through the wires and walk with you.

Hang in there.

 
At 23:56 , Blogger Choco Pie said...

Ugh. It reminds me of when my son was a baby. Once, when I went in to see the pediatrician AGAIN about his constant ceaseless crying, she was very sympathetic and told me she had a friend with a baby like that, and he turned out to be a happy, smiley kid. And that's how my son turned out, too--very good natured, happy, talkative, affectionate. All that crying didn't do any permanent damage to him, fortunately. That's all I can say to comfort you...I know it's so, so hard.

 
At 00:23 , Blogger Jody said...

Oh Boy.

I hope it gets better soon. And that the Swiss do a good job keeping the sidewalks clean.

I'm impressed that you have the energy to keep walking.

 
At 02:03 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

love your honesty... hang in there. They DO get older.

 
At 05:12 , Blogger elizabeth said...

My grandmother loves to tell us that as a baby my father cried so loud and for so long that the stress drove her and my grandfather to the verge of divorce...but they were each afraid they would be the one to wind up with the baby. By his first birthday he had made such a complete turn-around that there is not a single other story they can think to tell about his childhood to embarrass him or amuse his daughters. You will make it through, I am sure of it.

 
At 08:49 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Thanks for the encouragement, and I know this will pass. I've also decided to blame a lot of the recent descent to crying hell on Boychen's first immunizations. Until this week he was colicky in the evenings but slowly getting better and generallly a normalish baby during the day. This non-stop thing is new, and I hope hope hope related to the shots.

And yes, Jody, the Swiss sidewalks and walking trials are right tidy.

 
At 21:09 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

bah, this is really good writing. you need to send this in to get published . it is almost like a poem.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home