Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Poetry of witness for the internet

I generally don't write poetry of witness. I'm not good at it, not good at mastering that control of outrage that keeps it from spiling over into shrill soapbox sputtering. The best poetry of witness (much of which is gathered in this excellent collection) is controlled and specific, understated even, and all the more powerful for the control. Think of a horse at full run. Now think of a horse being reined in, jerking at the bit, wanting to be at a full run. That's the kind of power good poetry of witness - good poetry, period - should have. In not good at reining in, especially in political poetry - I let go the reins and watch my words bolt across the fields. Nevertheless, I'm trying to push my limits as a poet, so here's a political poem written especially for the blogging format - I've incorporated into the poem links to stories and pictures about the events I'm writing about.

Is this a new way to use the internet in poetry or simply too clever by half? Does it weaken the poem; that is, do the links imply that I can't convey what I'm talking about without them? Really. I want to know what you think of this format.

***

Fifty Years in the Making

Flame of shame
is too obvious a rhyme,
but sometimes the obvious is true.
Sometimes the obvious sits in front of you
fifty years
waiting to be noticed
and when it is, pent-up energy sparks
a chain reaction
picked up by strangers
who don't speak your language
but understand every word
and send the signal on down the line.
We're the flame now
this conflagration of outrage
sending sparks across channels
and oceans
and to the roof of the world
where they wait for this burning
fifty years in the making.
No domesticated flame, this
no desecrated flame, this
just the fire of an outrage
fifty years in the making.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 17:03 , Blogger G in Berlin said...

I think it completely takes away from the poetry. I was distracted by the links while reading, and when I went back and looked at the links I totally forgot about the poetryt. But I was glad to read the links. I thought about getting a T shirt from the first, but saw no noatation indicating any part of the proceeds go to any organization with actual ties to the movent, so I will just donate money to Gere's organization.

I really feel we should buycott. Otherwise, I am not certain how we can actually bring any pressure to bear. My husband says boycotting is useless and we need to engage. What do you think?
BTW, I was stringly in favor of engagement vs apartheid, but that was because I thought it would work (as it did). I think the Chinese government is another thing.

 
At 20:37 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It takes some discipline to first read and feel the poem and only then check the links. I sort of managed to do that and I enjoyed the duality of the poem. To then go beyond the message to the information. It was like there are two poems in parallel universes.

But as I sayd - it takes discipline and it is harder to "just" enjoy the poem. But then - political poems are probably hardly enjoyable - are they?

 
At 13:19 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Thanks G and husband for honest feedback. Sometimes it's hard to see how something really works when you're in the middle of it.

 
At 02:24 , Blogger oKawa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home