Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Nice to know it's not all in my head

"You're doing better," Dr. Fantabulous said when I sat down in his office yesterday. It was a statement, not a question.

"I'm feeling much better," I replied.

"I only have to look at your face to see you're feeling better. I'm happy for you.* Are you seeing Dr. FeelGood?"

"Yes, and I'm taking the medication."

"Well, it shows."

* Actually he said "I'm lucky for you" but I know what he meant; it's a common mistake among German-speakers speaking English. In German the same noun, Glück, is used for luck and for happiness and the adjective glücklich can mean either lucky or happy. So when German-speakers turn around and speak English, they often use lucky and happy interchangeably. Later in the appointment we switched over to German because he said his English is no good first thing Monday morning. I love that we can do our appointments in either language, or, as usually happens, both.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 13:48 , Blogger Betsy said...

I'm so lucky to hear you're feeling better!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home