Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Better living through pharmaceuticals

I don't know exactly to what I should attribute the slight parting in the clouds but there is a slight parting in the clouds, the sort of parting that a hopeful person would say augers a change in the weather. Surely the Paxil* that I started taking a week ago is doing most of the heavy lifting though there is probably also a placebo effect as it's a bit early for the medication to really be making much of a difference. Then there is the fact that there has been a literal parting of the clouds: for the past week we've had about ten hours of sunshine a day, beautiful blue sky days with crisp temperatures of 6 or 7 degrees (Celcius). Unabashed good weather, ostentatiously beautiful days. I've been spending loads of time outside, getting away from the narrow Gasschens of the Old Town where the sun does not penetrate and which hold a chill well into the late spring. Walks along the river, up at the Rose Garden, even just kicking a ball with Small Boy around the Grosse Schanze which looms above the city and collects the sun. It helps, the sun, the tall blue skies, the fresh air. But as much as I would like to believe that a change in the weather can bring about a change in my weather, I know perfectly well that right now the Paxil is necessary.


I'm not entirely comfortable taking medication; there is enough multi-generational alcoholism in my family to lift an ordinary degree of caution to levels approaching paranoia in my case. But then again, I'm not at all comfortable with my three year old son telling me that it scares him when I cry, which is what happened two weekends ago, so for the time being the medication is most definitely the lesser of two evils. And I have to say, I feel better. I feel rational. I feel like I can find a way out of this snowstorm. I feel like it won't be this way forever. I didn't cry today, and I didn't cry yesterday, and I feel like I won't cry tomorrow.

Here's how I see it. I'm on Everest and a storm is blowing in, and if I need supplemental oxygen to make it back to base camp then baby, pass the tanks and hook me up. Because somewhere down there is base camp where my family is waiting.

* which goes by the name Deroxat in Switzerland

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 18:10 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

After my child, only Zoloft took me out of the slough of depond. Do what you need to feel better.

 
At 20:43 , Blogger Global Librarian said...

Approximately 15% of women experience post-partum depression, but far too many people are afraid to acknowledge it as an issue. I admire your courage in admitting it and seeking help. Hopefully you will be feeling much better soon.

 
At 21:14 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you have to do what you have to do in order to feel like living. And to stop crying. When the weather becomes better for good, you'll know when to stop taking anti-depressants.

I admire your courage to blog about your difficult post-natal experiences.

 
At 00:59 , Blogger elizabeth said...

I'm glad the clouds are parting, and sorry that you've been trapped in such a snowstorm. Here's my unsolicited assvice as someone who took psychopharmacology in grad school but is definitely NOT a medical doctor: antidepressants are not addictive. One less thing to worry about.

 
At 06:52 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anti-depressants introduce toxicity into your system! Don't hurt yourself....


http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8058160857846500132

 
At 22:49 , Blogger christine said...

I hope the clouds part soon. It´s important to take care of yourself first and foremost.

 
At 09:02 , Blogger Choco Pie said...

Ha ha, I see Tom Cruise has posted anonymously. He has such a silly haircut, so ignore him and listen to your smart son and your cyber friends instead. I'm glad you're feeling better.

 
At 19:29 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Anonymous No. 1 - glad you found some help too.

Global Librarian - actually my husband was the first one to make an appointment to talk about the PPD. And as for writing about it, it's easy since I blog anonymously.

Kinuk - I do hope the meds are a short-term thing. And again, anonymous blogging gives me a lot of freedom.

Elizabeth - thanks for the reassurance about the meds

Anonymous No 2 - yeah, whatever dude.

Misschrisc - hard to remember sometimes. One of the best lines I ever heard about parenting is that it's like what they tell you in an airplane: Put on your own oxygen mask first. So true. Can't help anybody if I'm passed out on the floor (metaphorically speaking, of course)

Sandra - Tom Cruise! Haha! Ignore him I will and listen to Brooke Shields instead. Now *that's* brave story telling.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home