Thursday, November 10, 2005

Back to the drawing board

I'm glad I took the trouble to make a sample of P's baby blanket - I've only woven a few inches and it's clear I need to rethink either my design (an unbalanced twill) or my yarn weights (thick and nubby weft but a thin smooth warp). An unbalanced design combined with unbalanced yarn weights is too, well, unbalanced. I guess a more experienced designer would have known that intuitively from the start, but I didn't. Now I do. That's one of the things I like about weaving samples - in addition to saving you from producing an individual bad project, they're good teaching tools. I now know what happens when I combine too many unbalanced elements in a single design.

I've woven unbalanced twills before, and when it works I like it, so I think I'm going to change the warp weight before I change the design.

But the odds that this will be a congratulations on the birth of your baby gift rather than a shower gift are increasing exponentially...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home