Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Library Thing

Raising WEG and PhantomScribbler have convinced me, and I'm starting to put our books into LibraryThing. Cataloging will be slow, because

  • I'm behind on two deadlines for a Writer's Workshop (and yet I'm writing this post!), and

  • I have ten days to weave a baby blanket for my friend P's surprise baby shower, and I have not even finished dressing the loom for the sample. The sample is not even done. Unless you weave that is all probably meaningless, so let's just say I'm in deep doo-doo in the baby blanket department.


  • The final catalog will be far from complete, because many of our books, including all of my academic books, are in boxes in storage, where I think they shall remain. Certainly there is no need for the political science books to ever darken my doorstep again. As for all the fiction that's boxed up somewhere, I think that too will probably remain boxed up. (You can see why this post struck a chord with me.) Although I love my books to the point of fetishizing them, I really really like the asthetic of a leaner, cleaner bookshelf. What that means is that my LibraryThing library will tilt towards newly published works - mostly books I've bought since moving to Switzerland. Since English language books are quite teuer (expensive) here, and because international shipping from Amazon is never free, I haven't bought as many books as I used to in the old days. So the library, she is lean. But, I like to think, healthy.

    4 Comments:

    At 21:15 , Blogger Phantom Scribbler said...

    Hooray! Another convert! See you in the digital library shelves...

     
    At 04:41 , Blogger Ann D said...

    Is it not the most addictive online toy EVER?

     
    At 09:55 , Blogger swissmiss said...

    What little I've entered is under swissmiss.

    Phantom, you already come up on my similar library list...

    Ann welcome and thanks for reading

     
    At 16:53 , Blogger Miss Kim said...

    **laughing** I somehow read this phrase "my friend P's surprise baby shower" as meaning a surprise baby!

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home