Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I think I did something un-Swiss today

I took Small Boy out to IKEA today to get him a table and chair (that's not the un-Swiss part, the un-Swiss part comes all the way at the end). It was raining, and traffic on the Autobahn was heavy, and then we got stuck in a Stau (traffic jam), so it took us a while to even get out to the store. And then we got a little lost in the store because they're building and everything has been moved around and we couldn't find the Kindermöbel. So everything took longer than expected and though I remembered to bring his Rrrr Rrrr (bear), two trucks and his water bottle I managed to forget anything in the solid food department. By the time we were done, it was clear that Small Boy was pretty hungry. So after I paid for our stuff I quickly popped into the Swedish Store to buy him some crackers or biscuits or something. While we were waiting on line to pay - watch out, here comes the un-Swissness - I opened the package and gave him a biscuit. This apparantly gave the little boy behind us ideas, which his mother put an end to in no uncertain terms. She must have said Gar nid üspacke, gar nid* five times, three of which were certainly for my benefit, as Small Boy munched his little biscuit. Gar nid.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever. I'm American bringing all my bad habbits to your tidy land, so sue me. It's not like I'm not going to pay for it, I'm standing right in line for the cashier. Yeesh. Interestingly, R., who could out-Swiss Willem Tell, has no problem opening food or drink in the store if he thinks Small Boy is hungry or thirsty. So maybe it wasn't a Swiss thing so much as it was a that woman was being snitty thing. Or maybe the Swiss really don't open packages in the store and R has been tainted by his time in the US. I don't know, but I sure upset that woman with my wild ways.

But Small Boy was sated, and her kid was hungry. So there.

* Absolutely do not open that. Absolutely not.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 23:23 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry I am Swiss and your behaving was not unswiss, at least it didn't used to be. I open packets in the shop as well, because the choice between crying children and a open paket is: NO CHOICE. As well I give them fruits or "gipfeli" (croissant)in the shop and I just make sure to give the price tag at the check out. Mind you, I have noticed that recently there are signs saying you shouldn't do it. I ignore it and so far no funny looks (typical swiss habit, they don't say it, they just give a funny look).

 
At 04:06 , Blogger junebee said...

I think I was at an Ikea a long time ago and they sold food there. But that was in Philadelphia.

The Swiss would blanche at the people who eat a couple of grapes while in the supermarket.

 
At 10:26 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha thats unswiss for sure. Don't u teach your child the wonderful virtue of waiting.. you are spoiling him and he is controlling your life. The less you give in to your children the happier he will be...bla bla bla
I'm being cynical.. Some friends never fail to remind me what I shouldn't be doing for my kids and not giving them sweets, opening packages before you've paid are HIGH on the list.....
hahaha here you would be looked at if you don't INSTANTLY gratify every single desire your child has......

 
At 13:50 , Blogger Writer and Nomad said...

i've done this SO often and felt guilty about it. Not because others made me, but because i used to be that snitty woman. that is until i had a child. a child who has no concept of "wait" (until i pay, until we get to the car, until we get home, etc.) all they know is that they are hungry. and that they can't feed themselves.

i've even gone so far as to give my daughter cherries and blueberries out of the package in my cart. because as soon as she sees them, all hell breaks loose. (i have to put them in my mouth first to clean them, then feed them to her.) the first time i did it, i was all paranoid. waiting for the secret food police to come and take me to some interrogation room, but i think this happens so often, they don't even care.

 
At 14:37 , Blogger Ms Mac said...

Oooh, in Züridüutsch, you'd have passive-aggressively been told Gar nöd!

 
At 20:53 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Well, it seems the jury is in I was totally un-Swiss. And you know what? If the situation arises again, I'll do it again. (And it seems R has in fact been tainted by his long-term exposure to me!)

 
At 22:24 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

very unswiss, it only belongs to you once you've paid. Not ONLY intended to pay for it.
i think that's the background to it.
But kids first in any case :-)

but i remember my mother was very strict on it - because once your kids start to rip open everything they get their hands on, and you have to buy it then... you might reconsider. (not that i ever dared to do that;-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home