Thursday, January 04, 2007

There's social justice and then there's social justice, I guess

Some of you might recall that I almost went into cardiac arrest upon paying our final 2004 tax bill, though if you read that entire post you might also recall that I am more or less on board with actually paying to ensure that we live in a society that takes - or tries to take - social justice a little seriously. I'm more or less on board with the fact that although we pay waaaaaaaay more than we get back on a personal level, we live in a society that I can feel pretty good about most days. I'm more or less on board with the fact that because R and I have more than we need, we pay more than we "should." If I'm going to spout off about social justice, it seems to me that I should put my money where my mouth is.

So you can probably imagine how much stuff like this steams me.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 22:58 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This also annoys me greatly. I am in favour of giving tax breaks to big commercial firms but they then create jobs and with that more people earn a living so it's something positive but I never understand why rich foreigners should be treated differently than Swiss. Just doesn't make sense to me and it's unfair.

my 0.02$

 
At 20:29 , Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

That's ridiculous. They should change the laws for everyone if there's a problem, not give some super-rich people special treatment.

 
At 19:42 , Blogger swissmiss said...

The worst part PK is that it's only super-rich **foreigners** who get this kind of treatment, adding insult to insult. There's a reason Boris Becker, Tina Turner, Jan Ullrich and Michael Schumacher to name a few all moved to Switzerland!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home