Sunday, December 24, 2006

This is what we get for letting Small Boy choose his own Christmas ornaments!

The 2005 selection:



This was actually his keepsake from our Yellowstone trip. He could have had a stuffed bear, or a wolf, but he wanted this:




And the 2006 selection. To add insult to kitchiness, this may be the most expensive ornament on our tree.




The tree in its entirety, however, wears the occaisional kitsch well I think:




Yes, those are real candles and yes, we are going to have live fire on our tree. I've been Swissified; I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back to lights again. Even knowing that R set himself on fire as a child one Christmas - Grossvati deftly extinguished him and R bears no scars and seems to think the whole incident is a rite-of-passage story or something - we're lighting candles on our tree. It's simply lovely. And we've got a bucket of water and a blanket to hand.

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 13:25 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the real candles too - and I mean about setting myself on fire - who gets a new plush pullover as a christmas present - wears it the whole evening of course and then walks backward into the tree? Almost deserves catching fire and being rolled into a carpet by dad. :-)

merry christmas everybody

 
At 22:54 , Blogger christina said...

Well, that third ornament is VERY interesting indeed.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and crossing my fingers that nothing gets set alight. :-)

 
At 03:31 , Blogger junebee said...

Those are actually some cool ornaments. Is that second one an Airstream travel trailer?

 
At 11:22 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Christina - those are Santa's knees! Santa's KNEES. :-)

Junebee - that is indeed a travel trailor. It says "Home is where you hookup."

 
At 00:48 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your tree is lovely. Is it a fir? What variety?

 
At 10:42 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful tree decoration. Belated Merry Christmas and wish you an affectionate Happy New year.

 
At 17:59 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually really like Small Boy's ornament choice! I love trees that have a personal touch to them...

Just popped by to wish you and your family a happy and healthy new year!

 
At 11:19 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Elizabeth - it's called a Nordmann, I don't know what that would be in English.

Betsy - yes, personal touch indeed. We'd never get into Martha Stewart Living, that's for sure. But I like it.

Happy holidays and New Year to everybody!

 
At 03:06 , Blogger christina said...

I put real candels (red ones!) on my tree too. I grew up with so many wonderful German traditions and can't kick them. They're too lovely!

 
At 19:44 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Christina (US) - I read you do adevent too. We dropped the ball on advent this year, but that's such a great tradition for little ones especially. I especially like the German filling the shoes with chocolate - the Swiss don't do that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home