Thursday, January 17, 2008

A break in the storm

Today, perhaps sensing how close to the edge Mama is, Boychen pulls out all the stops to charm me. He falls back asleep after the 7 a.m. nusring session, allowing me to shower before noon. He gazes at me from his bouncy chair while I eat breakfast without having to wolf it down or eat standing up with a baby in the Tragetuch. He plays on the floor mat, swatting out at the dangling monkey and watching in awe as I pull down the elephant that dances back up on its retracting string.* He seeks out my face and locks on to my eyes on the changing table, pumping his fat little legs, trying to smile, making funny little noises and saying "Baaah!" and "Aoo." He cries, but normal baby crying, not Seventh Circle of Hell crying, and then falls asleep on my chest.

Is there anything sweeter than a baby falling asleep on your chest?

We go for a walk, because that's what we do, but a short one, because I am tired of walking and even though it's a lovely day all I really want to do is hang out at home, listen to NPR, and watch biathlon. So instead of walking along the river, I just curl briefly through the Old Town and come back to the quiet apartment.** And when we come home Boychen stays asleep in the stroller, letting me eat lunch and write this. He really is doing his best to charm me today, but I have to say: Boychen, you had me at "Baaah."

I know this is just a brief respite, a break in the storm, and that I'm still out in the snow a long way from my cozy hearth. But I'm grateful for this repreive and content to biouvac here and get some rest before heading back out into the snow and finding my way home.

UPDATE: When Boychen sets out to charm, he really sets out to charm. I have watched sunrise over the Grand Canyon, I have watched sunset on the Swiss Alps, but nothing beats a baby's first real smile.

* Thanks to Australian Friend for the loan. This floor mat is much better than the one we have from Small Boy. It even plays Mozart!

** Small Boy is at The Farm, and for the millionth time I have to say, Let us all praise retired grandparents who live on a farm 20 minutes away and who love to host their grandson.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 18:39 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurrah for babies who recognise when Mum's near breaking point! Hurrah for babies who can charm the pants off ya! Hurrah for cute babies who fall asleep on your chest (there's nothing better than that in the world. I've checked.)

Glad to hear The Boychen gave you one day (at least) of happy baby memories. We have friends whose first cried continuously (when he wasn't eating and sleeping in 30 minute stints) for the first 3 months. I can't imagine what that must have been like.

 
At 12:14 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad that you are getting a break. Not to be the annoying commenter offering unsolicited advice; however, one of my friends has a colicky baby that stopped almost immediately when she cut gluten out of her diet. I hope that all goes well for you and that Boychen gets over the immunization hump.

 
At 17:31 , Blogger christine said...

Oh I´m so sorry. Little S had colic so bad that I don´t even remember the first three months. At the end of three months neverything turned rosey and the sun came out! I played around a lot with my diet but unfrtunately nothing seemed to help much. I think you just have to wait it out.

Baby C has a few digestion issues but it´s not nearly as bad as it was with her brother (ie. I haven´t once thought of throwing her out the window at two am!)

Hang in there mom is all I can say !

 
At 02:22 , Blogger Gardner said...

A, a charmer. That is so nice when they first start reaching out to you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home