Friday, May 02, 2008

Romanisch, Switzerland's fourth official language

Switzerland has four official languages: German, French, Italian, and Romanisch (that's in order of the percentage of the population claiming each language as their first language). About one percent of the population speaks Romanisch; I doubt if it will survive my sons' lifetimes. Which is a shame, because it's always a shame when a language dies and because I think Romanisch is beautiful. I don't understand a word of it, but it's beautiful.

Now ne of these days I'll learn how to embed a YouTube video into a post. Today is not that day. If you click here you'll get a clip where you can here Romanisch (the big Steinbock - let's call in a mountain goat in English - is speaking Romanisch and the little one is translating into the local dialekt). I love the sound of Romanisch. I also love the Graubünden, the region this clip is advertising and the native home of Romanisch; it's my favorite region of Switzerland.

I'd like to learn some Romanisch one day.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 21:29 , Blogger Maria said...

To the right of the video there is a box that says "embed," which you copy and paste as html in to your post (via the html screen).
:)

 
At 21:52 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wellllll we did try that but the code kept truncating. Thanks though :-)

 
At 22:08 , Blogger Maria said...

Ah-- I had that same problem. In the code, you can go in and edit the height/width, which usually shows up first under object width. Be sure to change it at the end of the code too (usually one last object). Sorry if that is not a good description, but hopefully it works for you. :)

 
At 00:32 , Blogger purple_kangaroo said...

Neat! Apparently you can listen to Radio e Televisiun Romantscha online here: http://www.rtr.ch/rtr/index.html

 
At 12:51 , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,

While doing a search for "Romanisch" i came across your site. I am looking for a translator who can translate into Romanisch. The other links thru google were not helpful. I'm wondering if you can help me here.
I'm running a localization agency in India and today we heard from our client requesting this language which we have never undertaken before. Appreciate your response.
Thank you.
Priya

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home