Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Random bullets of frozen embryo transfer

  • Waiting for my appointment is much more enjoyable - well, less annoying anyway - with an iPod. How I made it through the initial IVF without an MP3 player of any kind is a mystery to me.
  • Speaking of waiting, how is it that although I appeared to be the first appointment of the morning - I mean, the lights were not even on in the waiting room yet and both doors to Dr L's inner sanctum were open - I still had to wait?
  • But I didn't have to wait long.
  • Dr L was efficient as ever.
  • No matter how long I live in Switzerland, I will never get used to taking off my pants and delicates in that corner of the room and casually strolling naked from the waist down over to the examination table in this corner of the room. While Dr L waits on his little stool.
  • Which reminds me that one day I must blog the culture shock of a Swiss OB/GYN appointment.
  • But I must say, trans-vaginal ultrasounds are so not a big deal after the whole giving birth thing.
  • Once again Dr L did not tell me what my lining measured at, but I read the monitor clearly this time:7.78 mm
  • No, that's not really the kind of number I wanted to see.
  • I do, however, have a triple stripe.
  • Dr L seemed amused when I asked if I was triple-striped.
  • You crazy Americans, he was probably thinking, always wanting all these details.
  • But he humoured me and showed me the layers on the ultrasound monitor and explained what was where.
  • He also said my uterus was excellently shaped.
  • Yeah, that's a direct quote. I have an "excellently shaped" uterus. I think I'll put it on my CV.
  • We'll pretend to forget that he was positively delighted with my uterus last time, too.
  • Because we all know how that worked out.
  • Now since 7.78mm is not really the kind of number we wanted to see, and because 17 days of this are not boring enough, we're sneaking in three extra days of Progynova before transfer to help boost my lining.
  • Woo hoo.
  • I need more time on the Progynova because my lining isn't as thick as it was at this point in the cycle last time.
  • And we all know how how last time worked out.
  • Wait.
  • I'm supposed to be thinking postive.
  • That's all right! That's okay! I'm gonna get knocked up one day!
  • Erhum. Yes. Well. Moving on.
  • Transfer will be on Feb 8th instead of the 5th.
  • (Because my body isn't quite ready yet.)
  • On the upside, it means R won't be out of town for the transfer as he might have been on the 5th.
  • On the downside, it means I'm not responding all that well to the Progynova.
  • I'm thinking I'm going to be on the wrong side of 20%.
  • Again.
  • You know, it is incredibly difficult to conceal from a two year old boy the fact that you are eating cake. It can be done, but the furtive nature of the enterprise seriously minimizes the pleasure one can derive from the cake.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 02:56 , Blogger junebee said...

You and your son BOTH deserve more cake!

 
At 08:48 , Blogger christine said...

Ohhhh you're getting close! Okay well I'm cheering for you now since I got cancelled, grrrr.

lol about the cake!

 
At 22:45 , Blogger christina said...

I'll be thinking of you on the 8th.

My doc has a little curtained off area where one is allowed to change and *then* stroll half naked to the table. I always make sure I wear a really long blouse.

And...I have to lock myself in the bathroom to eat cake in peace.

 
At 07:19 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Misschrisc I'm sorry you got cancelled!

Christina, thanks for good thoughts and yeah, long tops are good things.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home