Monday, June 02, 2008

If I don't blog it, will it still happen?

Here's something I haven't blogged. Bern is one of the host cities for the Euro2008 (that's the European Football [aka soccer] Championships). I can't begin to express the many ways in which this does not excite me, but I'll try:

  1. I'm not a football fan. I didn't grow up playing it, I didn't grow up watching it, and I'm too old and too busy to get interested in a new sport now.
  2. I don't like crowds. When I lived in Washington, DC, inauguration day was a nightmare. Protest times were a nightmare. Heck, high tourist season was a nightmare. People lost, taking up tables at my favorite restaurants, crowding the Metro, people standing still on the left-hand side of of escalators! Ack.
  3. I don't like drunken crowds.
  4. I hate lines.
  5. The Old Town is being converted into a fan-zone.
  6. I have to cut through the Old Town to get to several of my old stand-by playgrounds and other interesting Smal Boy places.
  7. Plus, I just like to hang out in the Old Town.
  8. The stadium is on the same tram line as Dr. Norwegian (our pediatrician).
  9. The most convenient grocery store to shop in with two small children is directly next to the stadium.
  10. There are, apparantly, fears of a Wurst shortage! (link via This Non-American Life)
  11. The camp ground that has apparantly been booked out by the Dutch is on the same tram line as our Tagesmutter.
  12. The camp ground that has apparantly been booked out by the Dutch is just upstream from one of my Small Boy hangouts.
  13. Half of the games start at 8:45 pm and will end around 10:30; so the horn-honking car brigades will roll from 10:30 until....?
  14. The Euro2008 will last for three weeks.
  15. R will be gone for those exact three weeks: 1 week in Zurich (also a host city) and two weeks in the United States!
  16. Could there be a worse overlap?

Seriously. If I ignore this, will it go away?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 16:59 , Blogger Diane Mandy said...

Hmmm. Good question! If not, you can always click your ruby slippers as backup, right? :-)

 
At 16:35 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen sister! I feel exactly the same about the euro '08 and soccer in general.

However you forgot to list the UEFA which is a bunch of corrupt sports appartchiks who will privatise all the gains and leave all the costs to the public.

 
At 10:05 , Blogger swissmiss said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:06 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Swissguy - back when Bern was holding a contest for a motto to go with the Euro, mine was "Euro08. Go home, people."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home