Sunday, February 11, 2007

Bücherregal - Updated

We finally got Small Boy a bookshelf; when you take a look at the size of his library, you can imagine the kind of chaos it was around here without a bookshelf. We found something at IKEA. I never know what to expect from put-it-together yourself furniature. Sometimes it seems like you need to be a master carpenter to do it (assuming you get all the right pieces); sometimes, why, it's like a child could put it together!




There was a dicey moment when it looked like Small Boy might not let us put any books in the shelf - he thought it made a much better car than bookself. (Boy is all about the cars these days - his imagination can transform anything from a cheese-grater to a bookshelf into a car.)



But we did get the books in (most of them - we keep a stash in the living room). At the moment I've separated the German (bottom shelf) and English (top shelf) books, but I don't expect that to last for long nor do I think it's necessary to keep his bi-lingualism straight. (Any input on this from parents of bilinguals?)



It's neat for now - I'm sure that won't last long!


UPDATE: Yeah, that lasted about as long as I thought it would.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 22:37 , Blogger christina said...

That's such a cute bookshelf. We didn't bother keeping the books separate - they learned soon enough which were which anyway and could switch back and forth with no problem.

 
At 01:42 , Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

That is a great bookshelf! My small boy needs one in his room too. Maybe I will head over to IKEA site and see if I could order one.

 
At 03:40 , Blogger junebee said...

My kids have books in English, Spanish and Chinese. I mingled them all together so that the children don't think that books in languages other than English are different in some way. I purposely bought crossover books (i.e., two books of "Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See" one in English and one in Chinese) so the kids understand that either language is just as good to read the story.

Congratulations on the new book shelf. Branch's recently collapsed from it's load!

Actually, I arrange the books so that "I" can easily find a book I want to read - I love Sandra Boynton's books and the kids love Karen Katz' flap books.

 
At 03:52 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep german and english books all mixed. Actually, I should tidy up the kids bookshelf.. to many books in it... Kids usuallly pic a book because they like not because its a certain language...

 
At 08:16 , Blogger Betsy said...

Cute shelves! (and cute boy! :-) )

Every now and then I'll go on a tear and rearrange S and B's bookshelves by language. And then they'll start pulling the books down and looking at them and then putting them back randomly, which lands me back at square one.

The funny thing is that I'm only just now realizing that I'm the one who compartmentalizes languages. I think in one or the other and it can be an effort for me to switch back and forth.

Kids' brains are so elastic- they don't seem to have any problems keeping their languages straight.

I'm trying to be better about letting go of the need to organize everything and just leave their favorite books in a jumble within easy reach. They're more likely to read them that way and I can scratch one more sisyphean task from my list... ;-)

 
At 14:47 , Blogger christine said...

We don't seperate them. I don't think he would keep them like that for long. I like the idea of seperating them sometimes though just to see what he has. I like to keep them balanced.

I love the book The Adventures of Taxi Dog which you have on the sidebar. I think we'll order that one. Do you have a system for buying books like ordering one a month? If you order them, where do you get them shipped from? Amazon is getting expensive!

 
At 12:57 , Blogger swissmiss said...

Well all the advice seems to be they wind up mixed up anyway, and like Betsy, I could use one less chore around the house, so as long as the books end up on a shelf and not the floor at the end of the day we'll call it happy.

Misschrisc - Taxi Dog is a great book, highly recommended. I let the book urge build up and then put in a massive order. If I can find the English version at amazon.de it's free shipping so that helps a lot. It might be free shipping to France too, you should check it out.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home